Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Phx and question about new SRP rates ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Phx and question about new SRP rates ?

Hello all,
    I should be getting a 7.85kW DC ( not sure how you list array sizes, DC or AC ? ) in the new month or so.

Does anyone have any insight to the new SRP rates proposal ? The website really doesn't give specifics, only that a new solar rate will be implemented if approved by the board in Feb.

Very interesting site.
    Thank you
    Bruce

Hope you have a signed contract. The deadline to avoid the onerous new "demand" charge for 10 years was earlier this week. Estimates are that the additional cost will be around $50/month. That may be softened as SRP comes under fire for the proposal. Hopefully, this is just an initial demand and they'll settle for less as opposition grows. There will be ways to mitigate damage e.g. by orienting your panels to the southwest and/or using a load controller to minimize the demand charge.

Here's an article on the proposal.

Comment

Thanks for the link...
      I made the cut off , and have a email from SRP stating we will be grandfathered in...

I still haven't seen a price plan that says if you are solar and use 1500Kwh you will be billed at .15 cents a KwH...
      no sure when that will come out... just curious about the new solar plan and the electric car plan...
      they elude to it, but don't give specifics...

I'm sure they will 'help out' the users and 'only' charge $30 for the top rate, or something like that...

Still glad to have gotten in before it raises...
      Just don't know how that will be when we try and sell our house in 15 yrs.

Thanks again, get website also...
      Bruce

Comment

In 15 years, unless you've gone with a monthly lease, you'll have profited from your system and even at the new rates, should be able to prove some savings to a potential buyer. However, having a solar system may not add anything to the value of the house at that point. The leasing model is probably going to die in Arizona as the utilities are determined to halt residential solar that they don't directly profit from.

Comment

We did do a lease,
          I just hope in 10 yrs. that the regular elec. rates will have gone up that the solar tariff won't eliminate all the savings.
          Thanks for the replies.
          Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by deputybubba View Post
            We did do a lease,
            I just hope in 10 yrs. that the regular elec. rates will have gone up that the solar tariff won't eliminate all the savings.
            Thanks for the replies.
            Bruce
            IMO guessing on what the future electric rates or fees will be in 10 years would be harder than picking 6 numbers for the Lottery.

With all the politics about the new EPA rules and the POCO's doing everything in their power to get out of Net Metering or getting compensated by adding higher fees for PV, you would think electricity will be costing a lot more.

But then again electric rates in the US have not really gotten that much higher in over 15 years. So it is a guessing game.

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention that leased systems in Arizona are probably going to be taxed starting next year. See this article. I find it instructive that in a state where taxes are anathema to the powers that be, this tax on solar is embraced by those same powers.

Comment

Thanks Ian, I do remember that tax being talked about...
                Seems like the savings on electric is just going to dwindle down...
                Like someone said... power companies are trying to eliminate residential solar leases.

Thanks again

Comment

Yeah, I just signed up on a lease too (got my application in to SRP just in time to avoid the new rates). I had to do a fair amount of work to get a plan that was going to actually save me money. Couple of points:
                  1. The new AZ-DoR tax on leased sounds like a done deal, but I've heard some conflicting info about whether that applies to the lessee or the lessor. I read through my lease, but it's unclear whether this fee will get passed on to me or not. Even if it does, I'll still be saving money, but it sure would be nice to avoid the extra $15-ish/month.
                  2. Hopefully what happened with APS will serve as a guide to SRP. If I'm not mistaken, they tried to stick it to the solar customers to the tune of $50/month, but ended up only getting $5/month.
                  3. Also, APS tried to attach higher costs to a person who buys a home with solar in much the same way SRP is trying to do. In other words, I'm grandfathered in without the SRP rate increase for the next 10 years, but if I choose to sell my home in 5 years, the buyer would immediately get stuck with the extra fee. Weasels.
                  4. Does anybody know of any formal protests planned against the SRP rate hike? I can't seem to find any. I contacted TUSK (Tell Utilities Solar won't be Killed), but haven't hear back from them.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jds
                    Hopefully what happened with APS will serve as a guide to SRP. If I'm not mistaken, they tried to stick it to the solar customers to the tune of $50/month, but ended up only getting $5/month.
                    Apparently SRP isn't subjected to the Arizona Corporation Commission's control like APS is. The article said they only need a passing vote by their board of directors to implement the change. So it may be harder for the public to influence the outcome in the SRP case because there are no elected officials the public can put pressure on.

Which brings up the question of why APS is regulated by the AZ Corporation Commission but SRP is not? Does anybody know?

Comment

Originally posted by Volusiano View Post
                      Which brings up the question of why APS is regulated by the AZ Corporation Commission but SRP is not? Does anybody know?
                      SRP is not a corporation. It's a public utility:

SRP, based in Phoenix, was established in 1903 as the nation's first multipurpose reclamation project authorized under the National Reclamation Act. Today, SRP is the nation's third-largest public power utility and one of Arizona's largest water suppliers.

Comment

Working...
                      X