Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar install turning out really bad - looking for some help/advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ncs55 View Post
    I did not read the whole thread before replying, probably should have. I just hate seeing this sort of stuff going on.
    The punchline in this one is that the customer (HX_Guy) learned so much correcting all of his contractor's mistakes that he started his own solar business afterwards.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• ncs55
      ncs55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Unreal, TY.

• Originally posted by ncs55 View Post

The racking appears to be Unirac and should have a proper stanchion made by Unirac for this racking system to avoid failure and warranty issues. I have attached a picture of what was used there, which is common for installing pool heating collectors and should be stainless. The flexible conduit should be metallic but which ever is used it cannot exceed 6 ft. in length by code. Just lazy not to use EMT there. Also note that it is unsafe and not code to use THHN THWN type of wire under an array without it being in conduit. And zip ties? really? where are the wire management clips? A sad but true fact is that the inspectors will not travel up on the roof anymore so obviously he plans on that strategy for passing the fire code setbacks. You should have a separate qualified contractor write up a report for the issues there, (one that will be willing to go to court with you). If this is California, Call up the CA CSLB and report everything to them first, they will guide you on proper legal procedure and start an investigation of the license being questioned. The building dept cannot help you, nor do they even care. If you were in my area, S.D. I would help you remove this person of their license through and with the CSLB because I see stuff like this all of the time and the contractor has usually has gone out of business when the incorrect installation becomes a failure. I did not read the whole thread before replying, probably should have. I just hate seeing this sort of stuff going on.
    Don't waste your time on this thread. OP is trying to saving $$$ by looking after a F-rating installer and use the so call "business barter group" to pay with exchange service to save even more money. Later trying not paying the installer with the fark up job he received. Basically a great example of "I'll out smart you and try not to pay you."

Comment

• ncs55
      ncs55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for saving me silversaver, sensij, now I can go on and learn something new and maybe help others along the way. I was going to dive into this tonight, now I do not have to. And even though we sometimes disagree, I still think you guys rock!

• Originally posted by sensij View Post

The punchline in this one is that the customer (HX_Guy) learned so much correcting all of his contractor's mistakes that he started his own solar business afterwards.
    Crazy how that turned out isn't it? Talk about a silver lining. We've done over 2.5mW since March 2015 with 1.3mW in the last quarter alone.

Comment

• aliris
      aliris commented
      Editing a comment
      HX-Guy: thank you. Clearly, you're quite a character, in all the good senses of that term. Yup, you could have hired a competent person from the get-go, using real-live money. You could have sent this joker packing. You could also have gotten offended at how some have dissed your 'style', the hiring choices you made, etc. But it seems to me you've demonstrated patience and kindness, creativity and generosity in flipping this to your own monetary advantage as well as to the greater common public good as an object lesson and incredibly in-depth learning tool. Not to mention enjoyable read. Your persistence has reamed good from disastrous, and a lot of people are better off for it.

Do you have second thoughts now about the whole labor-sharing collective that originally bound you to this guy?

• Heh, thanks for the comments aliris. No second thoughts...it's been a surreal experience over the past couple of years. That crazy, frustrating, educational, rewarding ordeal turned into a company that will do over 6mW in sales this year.
    Last edited by HX_Guy; 11-20-2016, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X