Grid interactive RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by harryn View Post
    Maybe consider to just run a few home appliances directly from the RV with an extension cord instead of a complete grid tie. Example TV, house furnace, internet modem and / or fridge.

If you can run those (or some of them) from the RV power, then you now have an emergency backup already in action and are covering the non-challenging home loads. Let the grid run the lights and air conditioner and don't bother with the full grid tie power.

A couple of modern LED flashlights can get you through most short term grid failures, so that is not a serious challenge.
    That is likely what I would end up doing, though by installing a proper generator input plug and a transfer switch, this way I could support those 'vital' loads from a portable generator directly if the RV wasn't in the mix. I was just hoping for an inverter that could do this job in the RV without having to run all power through the rectifying->inverting path, inverting just what is surplus on the DC bus (solar generation - battery maintenance), and paralleling that with the incoming AC for the balance of the downstream load. That is the exact opposite of how the Grid-support/generator-support modes work in all of the above referenced inverters, which won't draw from the battery until grid/gen reaches some predetermined limit. The only way to do it with off-the-shelf equipment, then, is to run the solar charger to the batteries, and an ac charger also to the batteries (for when solar is not sufficient), making sure the configuration on each allows solar to put in whatever it can before the ac charger pushes into the bus, then run everything downstream full-time through the inverter, keeping the downstream AC completely decoupled from the upstream AC.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy@altE View Post
      Like the 2 mobile ones I listed that are allowed in the US, and are UL458 listed for mobile applications, the hybrid Magnum MSH3012M and Outback FX2012MT, and others in their families.
      I did a first round read of the Magnum user manual, and obviously need to read it a few more times to capture some of the details.

Am I reading it correctly that you can set it up so that it can act like a "buffer / UPS" so that a smaller than peak load generator could be used with a battery pack to:
      - Keep the pack charged up
      - Pull from the pack to supplement the generator output to ride through these peaks ?

If that is the case, could it be wired so that when the RV is at home:
      - generator could be replaced by line AC ?
      - The battery pack would stay charged from the AC supply, thus acting like a UPS / battery backup for the home appliances ?

Is there a way to use this with a solar panel charger then, as well as the line AC supply, first tapping into the solar mode, then the AC mode ?

Thanks

Harry

Comment

Originally posted by harryn View Post
        I did a first round read of the Magnum user manual, and obviously need to read it a few more times to capture some of the details.

Am I reading it correctly that you can set it up so that it can act like a "buffer / UPS" so that a smaller than peak load generator could be used with a battery pack to:
        - Keep the pack charged up
        - Pull from the pack to supplement the generator output to ride through these peaks ?

If that is the case, could it be wired so that when the RV is at home:
        - generator could be replaced by line AC ?
        - The battery pack would stay charged from the AC supply, thus acting like a UPS / battery backup for the home appliances ?

Is there a way to use this with a solar panel charger then, as well as the line AC supply, first tapping into the solar mode, then the AC mode ?

Thanks

Harry
        Sort of. It is not an uncommon mode of operation for grid interactive inverters. The outback inverters do this as well. The feature that is lacking is that it will only invert if load is greater than whatever the generator/utility limit is set at, so if you have excess solar available from the panels, and the batteries are charged, it won't be utilized.

Comment

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
          Sort of. It is not an uncommon mode of operation for grid interactive inverters. The outback inverters do this as well. The feature that is lacking is that it will only invert if load is greater than whatever the generator/utility limit is set at, so if you have excess solar available from the panels, and the batteries are charged, it won't be utilized.
          Some models of Xantrex inverter have generator support and, in the opinion of member Chris Olson, offer the best flexibility and functionality. Not sure though whether the exact models in question are still sold.

The beauty of properly functioning generator support is that you can run a small generator at or near full output while the inverter picks up starting loads temporary higher demands, etc. so that you do not have to run an oversized generator at partial output.

The combination also allows you to run larger individual loads than either inverter or generator can comfortably support on their own.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Like I've said, though. Generator Support is not what I was looking for. Generator support allows load on the generator up to it's max before drawing from the batteries. I'm looking for grid tie operation, with a no sell limit. Invert as much as is available from solar, up to building load, but not export anything. This is not as configuration I have seen.

Comment

Working...
            X