Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pertneer
    • Dec 2014

line loss??

So I have 2 keyocerya 120 watt panels with 2 separate 8ga. wire runs ran to a steca pr2020 charge controller. when I check the amps at the panel I will get the same at the end of the runs. 11-12 amps. when I hook them into the charge controller it only reads 6.something on amps being generated. my back up charge controller does the same!!!! any ideas?
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Pertneer
    So I have 2 keyocerya 120 watt panels with 2 separate 8ga. wire runs ran to a steca pr2020 charge controller. when I check the amps at the panel I will get the same at the end of the runs. 11-12 amps. when I hook them into the charge controller it only reads 6.something on amps being generated. my back up charge controller does the same!!!! any ideas?
    It is impossible to have current in an open circuit. Otherwise your lights would stay on when you open a switch (off position). The problem is your test is invalid. You can only measure current with every thing connected normally. Line losses are voltage, not current.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Pertneer
      • Dec 2014

so a reading of 5.5/6 amps on each panel and run but only a 6/7 amp reading coming into the controller is not line loss? or are you saying that it must be hooked up and tested at the panel and controller for a change in the reading?

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Pertneer
        so a reading of 5.5/6 amps on each panel and run but only a 6/7 amp reading coming into the controller is not line loss? or are you saying that it must be hooked up and tested at the panel and controller for a change in the reading?
        I say everything must be connected normally. If you were to measure 5 amps at the panel end of the wire, there must be the same 5 amps on the opposite end at the controller.

Now with that said if the panels are connected to the controller/batteries, does not mean you are going to see the full rated current the panels are capable of. Reason being is the state of charge of the batteries, time of day and year. If the batteries are fully charged up at noon on a bright sunny day, you will not see any current because the controller has turned itself off.

What you can do to test panel current is wait until noon on a bright sunny day, disconnect the panels from the controller input terminal, and use the meter Current Mode on your meter to measure the Isc of the panels. The meter provides the short circuit when in Current Mode. Then switch your meter to voltage and read Voc. Click here to see what I am talking about.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...