Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paara
    • Dec 2014

bypass diodes

i am new to diy solar panel, but are planing to build some as a spare time project. I have a small wind turbine and a grid tie inverter that can accept pv dc from 100-450v. Mppt?

I am planing to make 4 panels: each 27,5v in series for total 110v 8a.

I understand bypass diodes protect cell strings when part of the panel is shaded.

What I dont understand is how to calculate the voltage rating for the diodes.

I have read 2 different answers.
    1:voltage for whole array. In my case 110v
    2: voltage for bypassed celles which could be like 5v depending of how many diods per panel.

I find very few bypass diodes that will handel 110 + v.

Can someone clarify this for me? I have read and searched for 3 days prior to posting this.

Thanks for any help
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by paara
    i am new to diy solar panel, but are planing to build some as a spare time project. I have a small wind turbine and a grid tie inverter that can accept pv dc from 100-450v. Mppt?

I am planing to make 4 panels: each 27,5v in series for total 110v 8a.

I understand bypass diodes protect cell strings when part of the panel is shaded.

What I dont understand is how to calculate the voltage rating for the diodes.

I have read 2 different answers.
    1:voltage for whole array. In my case 110v
    2: voltage for bypassed cells which could be like 5v depending of how many diods per panel.

I find very few bypass diodes that will handel 110 + v. Can someone clarify this
    for me? I have read and searched for 3 days prior to posting this.
    The BYPASS diodes let current flow around a group of cells that aren't producing
    (because of shade or a fault). They allow the operable cells to continue to operate,
    at a reduced overall voltage. The bypass diodes can see the maximum forward
    current the array can produce. But generally a diode only is wired to bypass 10
    or 20 cells. So the maximum output voltage (blocked by the bypass diode) will
    be 5 or 10 volts. Allowing for extreme conditions, the diode would only need to
    be rated double these figures.

An array SERIES would see all the voltage; this type often isn't used if possible
    due to the power loss. Bruce Roe

Comment

• paara
      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
      The BYPASS diodes let current flow around a group of cells that aren't producing
      (because of shade or a fault). They allow the operable cells to continue to operate,
      at a reduced overall voltage. The bypass diodes can see the maximum forward
      current the array can produce. But generally a diode only is wired to bypass 10
      or 20 cells. So the maximum output voltage (blocked by the bypass diode) will
      be 5 or 10 volts. Allowing for extreme conditions, the diode would only need to
      be rated double these figures.

An array SERIES would see all the voltage; this type often isn't used if possible
      due to the power loss. Bruce Roe
      So the bypass diods in my 4 panels in series would only need to be rated for 5,5v and 8a if I am using 5 diodes per panel (11cells per diode)? Regardless of total array voltage (110v).

Could you recommend 1 bypass diode over another?

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by paara
        So the bypass diods in my 4 panels in series would only need to be rated for 5,5v and 8a if I am using 5 diodes per panel (11cells per diode)? Regardless of total array voltage (110v).

Could you recommend 1 bypass diode over another?
        Diodes are typically selected with a PIV double the expected circuit voltage. To keep
        the forward drop minimal, you might use Schottky diodes. Just make sure they will
        handle the current; current at maximum rating will mean maximum voltage drop.
        Some need a heat sink; an insulated tab can be bolted to the aluminum frame.

Bruce Roe

Comment

• paara
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
          Diodes are typically selected with a PIV double the expected circuit voltage. To keep
          the forward drop minimal, you might use Schottky diodes. Just make sure they will
          handle the current; current at maximum rating will mean maximum voltage drop.
          Some need a heat sink; an insulated tab can be bolted to the aluminum frame.

Bruce Roe
          Thank you for your answers. You been very helpful now I only have to descide how to encapsulate the panels and I am set to start.

Comment

Working...