Permit when panel is very near at the edge of the roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
    All the while, the U.S. high school graduation rate plummets. Go figure.
    Well JPM you are mature and educated, so stop and think for a moment. US public education use to be pretty good up until the 60's and early 70's. Something changed in that time frame. What was it?

In simple terms it was the Progressive Movement brought about several changes.

Teachers Unions.
    Lower math, science, and reading standards
    Corporal punishment.
    Deterioration of traditional family values.
    Political Correctness which makes liars out of people and prevents dealing with the real problem.
    Responsibility. Its not your fault attitude.
    Accountability.

When you and I went to school, last thing we wanted to do was get in trouble because we know we were going to take an ass whooping by the school Principle, and another one when we got home from Dad and Mom. If you did not make the grade you got singled out and failed. When that happened you got an ass whooping when you got home and lost privileges. We learned responsibility and accountability and had no one to blame but ourselves for failure.

Today it is someone else fault and we are not held accountable or have to suffer the consequences of our actions. Teachers today don't give a crap about the students, they don't have to. Got a stupid student? No problem give him a passing grade and pass the problem down the line. You an dI were doing basic algebra in 6th grade, and by 9th grade already knew trig. Today it is not even required in high school.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Well JPM you are mature and educated, so stop and think for a moment. US public education use to be pretty good up until the 60's and early 70's. Something changed in that time frame. What was it?

In simple terms it was the Progressive Movement brought about several changes.

Teachers Unions.
      Lower math, science, and reading standards
      Corporal punishment.
      Deterioration of traditional family values.
      Political Correctness which makes liars out of people and prevents dealing with the real problem.
      Responsibility. Its not your fault attitude.
      Accountability.

When you and I went to school, last thing we wanted to do was get in trouble because we know we were going to take an ass whooping by the school Principle, and another one when we got home from Dad and Mom. If you did not make the grade you got singled out and failed. When that happened you got an ass whooping when you got home and lost privileges. We learned responsibility and accountability and had no one to blame but ourselves for failure.

Today it is someone else fault and we are not held accountable or have to suffer the consequences of our actions. Teachers today don't give a crap about the students, they don't have to. Got a stupid student? No problem give him a passing grade and pass the problem down the line. You an dI were doing basic algebra in 6th grade, and by 9th grade already knew trig. Today it is not even required in high school.
      At the risk of being called uncompassionate, I'll say that while I generally agree with your reasons for the collapse, I'm also of the opinion that there is more to the story besides those reasons such as you list, which seem to be some of the favorites of the conservative crowd.

FWIW, I'm of the opinion that there's plenty of evidence of finger pointing, shortsighted parochial interests and unreasoned emotion on all sides. The idea that we're becoming, or are already a nation of nitwits is due as much to the bible banging, creationist, home schooling, and profit at the expense of humanity crowd(s) etc, as the hand wringing, liberal, both coast elitist, self entitled tree huggers. A pox on both their houses. Those folks and other mentally and physically slothful people are killing, or will soon kill what remains of the spirit of my country. It ain't conservative thinking and it ain't liberal thinking. It's simplistic, dichotomous, non critical thinking, or no thinking at all from all sides. The idea that the current educational system does not teach much, if anything, in the way of critical thinking skills only increases the rate of decline.

When I look for the blame, I start by looking in the mirror. We get what we tolerate, and I'm as guilty or more so than the rest.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
        That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
        I have no problem with your POV.

Consider this. Public Schools and Universities are primarily funded with fed, state, and local taxes. Strings are attached to those dollars and thus there are subjects and requirements that can and more importantly CANNOT be taught.

I cannot think of a better way to control and brainwash people. Can you?

Here is a Conservative joke with irony, meaning some truth.

Do you know what happened to the Hippies of the 60's?

They formed the DNC!
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Helmut View Post
          I would bet a pv-System that survive an normal heavy storm would withstand every thinkable earthquake. The house where it is building on the roof crushes much earlyer.
          Please do not invent Problems where no Problems exist.
          I hope everybody accords with me, that there is more need to look at the earthquakesafty of nuklear plants then on pv-Systems.
          There maybe not much of a requirement in meeting any earthquake codes but from what I have been reading the new Fire codes may soon require "all" components to have the same fire rating classification as the roof material. As far as I can tell most pv panels, wiring and micro inverters don't meet that spec.

The game keeps changing depending on where you live and which politician is in charge. It is a moving target to hit and someone in the business of making or installation pv systems better be up to date or they will lose market share.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
            There maybe not much of a requirement in meeting any earthquake codes but from what I have been reading the new Fire codes may soon require "all" components to have the same fire rating classification as the roof material. As far as I can tell most pv panels, wiring and micro inverters don't meet that spec.

The game keeps changing depending on where you live and which politician is in charge. It is a moving target to hit and someone in the business of making or installation pv systems better be up to date or they will lose market share.
            As I recall, that fire rating business went around CA somewhere about 6-9 months ago or so. It may be due for another trip. Assume nothing. Check everything and always do what the inspector says. Just get the directives from the inspector clearly, unambiguously and in writing if you challenge the inspector, and make sure your ducks are lined up before you start climbing the chain of command.

Comment

Working...
            X