Solar post toppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar post toppers

So I have a 400' long driveway with no lights.
    I'd like to sink some 8' granite posts along the driveway and put some decorative solar powered lamps on them. I've seen the Gama sonic brand on amazon and some at home depot. I assume they aren't the greatest (please set me strait if they are good quality).

Anybody have any of these lamps or any leads to what I am looking for?

Thanks!

All the ones I've seen are a 3 year disposable item. Sorry
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      All the ones I've seen are a 3 year disposable item. Sorry
      Bummer. I'm ok with the creepy, dark driveway. Keeps the neighbors away.

Comment

You can easily use LED units of low wattage over that distance. Just have to run a power cable.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

You can easily use LED units of low wattage over that distance. Just have to run a power cable.
          many strings of holiday LED lights (3-5 watts per string) could do it too. And it's the season they are on sale.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

What about using those solar Freakin roadway panels being made by that guy up in Idaho? They can provide all types of light and be recharged from the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
              What about using those solar Freakin roadway panels being made by that guy up in Idaho? They can provide all types of light and be recharged from the sun.
              I don't know if the solar roadways are a joke or not to the more knowledgeable people here. (Kind of surprised there is not a sub-forum here for them.)

I'd love a solar freakin driveway!! If they work they way the inventor is touting them, get some light, never have to snowblow my 5000+ sqft driveway, power my house and leave nasty messages if a neighbor pisses me off!!

Comment

Originally posted by jtstott View Post
                I don't know if the solar roadways are a joke or not to the more knowledgeable people here. (Kind of surprised there is not a sub-forum here for them.)

I'd love a solar freakin driveway!! If they work they way the inventor is touting them, get some light, never have to snowblow my 5000+ sqft driveway, power my house and leave nasty messages if a neighbor pisses me off!!
                I don't claim much knowledge, but I wonder how a house can receive power from horizontal panels covered by snow that never needs to be blowed ?

Perhaps to be kind about it, I bet it's not a sub forum here because it's an idea whose time may not yet have arrived.

Comment

Why would we have a sub-forum for what is no more than a scam?
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                    I don't claim much knowledge, but I wonder how a house can receive power from horizontal panels covered by snow that never needs to be blowed ?

Perhaps to be kind about it, I bet it's not a sub forum here because it's an idea whose time may not yet have arrived.
                    I think there will be heating elements embedded in the panels. Of course there is a **** ton of Q's: energy storage, efficiency etc.. Yeah, its time has not arrived, but it is a fantastic idea if it can be perfected on a large scale.

Originally posted by russ View Post
                    Why would we have a sub-forum for what is no more than a scam?
                    I'm sure there were lots of people that called the PV we use now a scam in their development as well.

Comment

I'm sure there were lots of people that called the PV we use now a scam in their development as well.
                      Well maybe not a "scam" but certainly way too expensive.

I started working with solar cells at the University of Delaware back in the mid 70's doing research on thin film Cadmium Sulfide (CdS) solar cells. We were looking for a cheaper solar cell then the Silicon ones yet have an efficiency as good. We never did find the holy grail for that type of cell. The best version of thin film is the Cadmium Telluride but even that type has limitations.

Comment

I think there will be heating elements embedded in the panels. Of course there is a **** ton of Q's: energy storage, efficiency etc.. Yeah, its time has not arrived, but it is a fantastic idea if it can be perfected on a large scale.

1) There is an Israeli company that years back had a system like this in the pilot phase - an actual installation - I would not be surprised if they hold patents on it. They dropped it as a loser.

2) Problems
                        - Horizontal position - bad
                        - on the ground - dirty and no practical way to keep them clean - unless you have a full time cleaner for each 100 panels maybe - maybe these are the green jobs the president keeps yapping about.
                        - winter time - big time problem
                        - bear craps on the panel - big problem
                        - deer craps on the problem - big problem
                        - trucker hits the brakes and scars the panel - big problem

3) Your comparison to PV is BS -

4) The guy is playing up his military service and collecting money - living good off suckers. If you want please send him money though.
                        Last edited by russ; 12-02-2014, 03:05 PM.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                        X