Arizona SRP utility will have new price plan for solar systems bought after 12/8/2014

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Volusiano
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2013

Arizona SRP utility will have new price plan for solar systems bought after 12/8/2014

I just got a letter today from SRP that announces that they will have a new price plan for residential customers who buy a solar system after 12/8/2014. Those others will be grandfathered in to their existing plan for the next 10 year.

More details can be found in www.srpprices.com. But there won't be specifics on this until 12/5.
  • Ian S
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

Looks like they'll use a demand charge. With APS' bought-and-paid-for newly elected Corporation Commission members, there will be quick movement on a similar change for APS customers. Basically more nails in the coffin for residential solar in Arizona. Nice while it lasted but I got mine so why should I care about anyone else?

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Ian S
      Looks like they'll use a demand charge. With APS' bought-and-paid-for newly elected Corporation Commission members, there will be quick movement on a similar change for APS customers. Basically more nails in the coffin for residential solar in Arizona. Nice while it lasted but I got mine so why should I care about anyone else?
      Ian - Sometimes you do whine quite loud. Be happy you got a free ride and all the incentives!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Ian S
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by russ
        Ian - Sometimes you do whine quite loud. Be happy you got a free ride and all the incentives!
        Hardly whining, more like gloating. Like I said, I got mine.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Hardly whining, more like gloating. Like I said, I got mine.
          Lucky you.

Looks like the Florida PSC just gave the farm away by letting the POCO's stop all solar incentives for home owners and will allow them to also reduce their energy conservation programs by 90%.

They say that creating power from large generating stations is less expensive then installing high efficient appliances and lighting loads or following conservation practices.

Comment

• Ian S
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle
            They say that creating power from large generating stations is less expensive then installing high efficient appliances and lighting loads or following conservation practices.
            Translation: we make more money building large generating stations.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Translation: we make more money building large generating stations.
              That pretty much sums up their action plan.

Comment

• Tex Willer
                • Nov 2012

What is the incentive for distribution companies to subsidize solar systems? Do they in turn get some money from federal or state sources or are there rules set by some federal or state public utility commission that require the utility companies to spend money on solar installations?

Sorry, I asked the same question in another thread, but maybe you guys reading this thread know the full story.

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Tex Willer
                  What is the incentive for distribution companies to subsidize solar systems? Do they in turn get some money from federal or state sources or are there rules set by some federal or state public utility commission that require the utility companies to spend money on solar installations?

Sorry, I asked the same question in another thread, but maybe you guys reading this thread know the full story.
                  Politics

Politics and nothing more
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Volusiano
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Tex Willer

Arizona's renewable portfolio standard mandates utilities to get 15 percent of their electricity from renewable resources by 2025. Of that, 30 percent must come from distributed generation on homes and businesses. (excerpt from greenenergyauthority).

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Volusiano
                      Arizona's renewable portfolio standard mandates utilities to get 15 percent of their electricity from renewable resources by 2025. Of that, 30 percent must come from distributed generation on homes and businesses. (excerpt from greenenergyauthority).
                      Politics
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Tex Willer
                        • Nov 2012

Thanks, found it (cleanenergyauthority). Any idea if there are similar rules for Texas and what those might be?

Comment

• jds
                          • Nov 2014

So if Arizona needs to get 5% of its electricity from solar homes/businesses, why allow SRP/APS to demotivate people to go solar?

Comment

• Volusiano
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by jds
                            So if Arizona needs to get 5% of its electricity from solar homes/businesses, why allow SRP/APS to demotivate people to go solar?
                            I'm guessing maybe they're well on (if not well above) the trajectory to get there by 2025 already so they're doing this to slow down the pace.

Solar is so popular in Hawaii that I hear the POCO there has halted its growth and not allow new installations to be grid-tied anymore.

Comment

• Ian S
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jds
                              The utilities don't want distributed solar power.

Political comment removed - we are trying to do better on that front. Both extremes can keep it to themselves.
                              Last edited by russ; 12-18-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...