storing fafco panels - how much can they bend?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CA_Tom
    • Oct 2014

storing fafco panels - how much can they bend?

I have 4 Fafco 4'x10' panels that I want to store.
    I removed them from my roof, and want to keep them to use them as replacments for if/when one of the remaining 6 fails. I was thinking I could drape them one over the other over a ~6" diam pipe (outside, partially shaded). That would get them to fit in a ~4' wide space, <2'deep and only 5' high.

Anyone have experience with these panels?
    Know whether a 6" diameter bend is feasible or not?
    Storing them flat isn't really feasible - I just don't have a 4'x10' floorspace/groundspace for them.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Apparently they are not based on glass. I'd pick up one in the middle (where you would "drape" it over a pipe) and see how much it bends on it's own, without stressing it, and stop if you hear any noise. (although by the time you hear noise, it's too late)

Personally, I think that is way too much to ask of the panels, which were most likely shipped flat.

Can you hang them straight from your roof eves ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

They ship rolled up with what looks to be about a 9" to 12" radius and have a fair amount of flexibility, at least when new. My experience is they seem to remain flexible as f(time). I'd be sure to drain thoroughly before storage. I'd also be reluctant to drape them over anything or hang for any length of time, regardless of diameter, as they may take a set or incur deformation (creep), embrittlement or other problems. Fafco's a pretty big outfit. I'd give them a call.

Comment

Working...