X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahmoud_53
    • Nov 2014

Off-grid Direct use system

Hi all,

This is my first post here, and I'm glad to be a part of such a community. Anyway, I am intending to install a PV system that would give me 220V, AC electricity during the day. So it's really neither a grid connected system nor it is an off-grid system, so I hope you guys could help with the components that I might need.

My idea is:
    1- The PV panel that I am going to use, speaking of, is a 100W panel sufficient to output 220V AC electricity?
    2- Inverter, but what type? and what rating?

These are the basic components, but after some research, I found out I should also have a Solar Charge Controller + a small battery, EVEN if I'm only intending to use the system during the day, so is that correct? If so, what type of Solar Charge Controller do I need that would work with my inverter and the 100W panel? and What should be the Ahour rating on the battery?

Thanks Guys!
  • GFS
    • Nov 2014

Reply to Mahmoud

Originally posted by Mahmoud_53
    Hi all,

This is my first post here, and I'm glad to be a part of such a community. Anyway, I am intending to install a PV system that would give me 220V, AC electricity during the day. So it's really neither a grid connected system nor it is an off-grid system, so I hope you guys could help with the components that I might need.

My idea is:
    1- The PV panel that I am going to use, speaking of, is a 100W panel sufficient to output 220V AC electricity?
    2- Inverter, but what type? and what rating?

These are the basic components, but after some research, I found out I should also have a Solar Charge Controller + a small battery, EVEN if I'm only intending to use the system during the day, so is that correct? If so, what type of Solar Charge Controller do I need that would work with my inverter and the 100W panel? and What should be the Ahour rating on the battery?

Thanks Guys!
    Hi Mahmoud. I can't answer all your questions but I can give you answers to some. I'll make the answers numbered to keep my mind on track.

1) First of all, what are you powering? And what is the wattage rating of what your are powering. What you are powering and for how long will drive your system design (i.e. are you powering a calculator for 1 minute or a full size house for 1 week?)

2) Based on what your telling us, yes, this will be an "off grid" system.

3) If your specifying 220 VAC, this sounds like your in Europe. Am I correct in that assumption? And will your load just be 220 VAC?

4) Please do not confuse a panels wattage output with the ending voltage output. The DC formula for power is: P=V*I (power = voltage * current). A 100 Watt panel can probably be mated with an inverter to give a 240 VAC output. However, that voltage output could be unstable based on load.

We need more info.

Thank You, Gordon
    Last edited by GFS; 11-30-2014, 12:42 AM. Reason: Looked up 220 VAC standard

Comment

• Mahmoud_53
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by GFS
      Hi Mahmoud. I can't answer all your questions but I can give you answers to some. I'll make the answers numbered to keep my mind on track.

1) First of all, what are you powering? And what is the wattage rating of what your are powering. What you are powering and for how long will drive your system design (i.e. are you powering a calculator for 1 minute or a full size house for 1 week?)

2) Based on what your telling us, yes, this will be an "off grid" system.

3) If your specifying 220 VAC, this sounds like your in Europe. Am I correct in that assumption? And will your load just be 220 VAC?

4) Please do not confuse a panels wattage output with the ending voltage output. The DC formula for power is: P=V*I (power = voltage * current). A 100 Watt panel can probably be mated with an inverter to give a 240 VAC output. However, that voltage output could be unstable based on load.

We need more info.

Thank You, Gordon
      Thanks Gordan for your reply,

1-Well, I don't really intend to power anything (yet), I am only doing it as a practice. To judge the ease of installing and connecting these components by myself, and once I manage to pull off a good (working) prototype, I am gonna buy more panels. So it's not really important what I use this electricity for

3- 220 VAC yes, but Egypt, not Europe. And yes, the main grid is 220 VAC, so I suppose all the devices that I have work on 220 VAC, so I need a stable 220 VAC power that would allow me to power some devices without any problems. Devices like a 7W-rated LED light bulb, a phone charger, etc... I just need to know if I can get a stable power from direct usage of solar energy or not?

To sum up, this is the first step in building an on-grid system, I am only waiting for the government to finalize the prices of the KW.hrs of electricity that I'll be selling to them, because otherwise I would be just paying taxes AND Kw.hrs of electricity, lol. Anyway, so I want to give it a try with a small system that I will only use during day time, to save battery expenses because I won't need it when they are gonna buy electricity from me.

I hope you understood what I mean, the 100W isn't a requirement, I just want the minimum required panel wattage that will allow me to output a stable electricity during day time (or most of it) to power ANY of my 220 VAC devices

Comment

Working...