Solar panel system requirements for off grid cabin.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardjames
    • Nov 2014

Solar panel system requirements for off grid cabin.

I have an off grid cabin in Toronto. I am planning to build a solar power system. I own a Staticon inverter and a few batteries which I had been using at my on-grid house. Can I use that with solar power system? What else along with solar panels and a charge controller are needed to power my cabin which will be running a few LCD lights, a small LCD TV, a PC for personal use, a small microwave oven, charger for iPhone and iPad and other necessary tools like a drilling machine to use only when needed? Any suggestions will be helpful.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

What is a "drilling machine" ? What matters is the motor, it will want pure sine wave, and the starting surge will be several (3 to 5x) the running power. Sadly, having a large enough inverter to run the drill, it's idle losses will be quite high when charging the phone.
    I'd suggest a small inverter for all the little loads, and a larger one you just fire up for the drill, or run it from your backup generator.

Most industrial inverters have no attention paid to efficiency or standing losses, it's all a tax write off. But off-grid, battery power is very precious and after a 3 or 4 day rainstorm, you will want every bit of efficiency.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Wakie
      • Nov 2014

For tool like drill, reciprocating saw and cicular saw you can use cordless tool .
      No need to have a big inverter, no generator running to support big starting load.
      You will be surprised by the efficiency of the lithium ion crdless tool
      If you want a small microwave, you will need a puresine wave inverter of 1000 watt minimum
      That mean you need a 24volt system to avoid high amperage
      You have to figure the total load in watt h ine one day
      A lcd tv for 2 hour at night and a lcd open all day is a big difference in load
      Hth

Comment

• vayidaho
        • Dec 2014

Dual Sources for Off-Grid Home or Cabin

Having read many appeals for advice about sizing an inverter/battery/panel system for off-grid, I just have to comment: "Use a Dual Source." Use a battery/inverter/panel system for lighting and small appliances, and then when you need to run the toaster, microwave, dishwasher, welder, or drill press, start the generator, throw the transfer switch and help keep the batteries at max voltage for future use.

My system is set up with 13ea 24 volt flooded deep cycles bats in parallel, and has two inverters: One 4000 watt Schneider (old Xantrex) 240 volt split phase, and a 900 watt 120 volt inverter that I select between when going away for a few weeks, just to keep the burglar alarm happy, with a second transfer switch. I have two sets of panels, both 24 volt, both 60 amps through one of two Schneider/Xantrex controllers, for recharge in the one day a week I get sun in the winter. The generator has as one of its loads a battery charger that also helps the batteries recharge whenever running.

I would send an EXCEL spreadsheet with step-by-step instructions on sizing a battery bank and panel system based on my experience if permitted by the thread boss.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by vayidaho
          My system is set up with 13ea 24 volt flooded deep cycles bats in parallel,

I would send an EXCEL spreadsheet with step-by-step instructions on sizing a battery bank and panel system based on my experience if permitted by the thread boss.
          With 13 batteries in paralell don't bother sharing anything as it is obvious you do not know what you are doing.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
            With 13 batteries in paralell don't bother sharing anything as it is obvious you do not know what you are doing.
            Hmmmm. That is two strikes against the system. The number "13" and more than 2 batteries wired in "parallel". Both are sure shortcuts to a quick battery death.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

And they are 24V batteries. A real authority on the first post.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...