X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mb190e
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2014

Worst solar production day so far.

Due to the 10 inches snow we received throughout the day and another 4 inches tonight. We managed to squeak out on the measly .5 kWh from our 8.1 kW system. We did use over 60 kWh's today with the addition of our heat pump, definitely used up some of the saved kWh's from this summer.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Just wait, the days are getting shorter. (warmer, but shorter)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• myfriendSUN
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Mb190e
      Due to the 10 inches snow we received throughout the day and another 4 inches tonight. We managed to squeak out on the measly .5 kWh from our 8.1 kW system. We did use over 60 kWh's today with the addition of our heat pump, definitely used up some of the saved kWh's from this summer.
      I had 0.45kWh, less than 1" snow, yesterday.
      8.2KW 32x(PVmodule+inverter)+online monitoring

Comment

• Mb190e
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2014

I don't know how long it's going to take the snow to slide off or melt off the panels. zero production yesterday and zero today. Panels are 27° tilt.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

I don't know how long it's going to take the snow to slide off or melt
          off the panels. zero production yesterday and zero today. Panels are 27° tilt.
          If you were in NW IL, it might take till April. That is one reason mine are within reach,
          on the ground. Standing them straight up for the time there is snow on the ground helps,
          and they will also be getting energy from reflections off the snow.

When it snows overnight, I have them cleared by the time the sun is up. On the less
          frequent times it snows during the day, production drops to a few percent. I suppose
          that comes from reflected sun on the under side. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

• subdriver97
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2014

I don't know how long it's going to take the snow to slide off or melt off the panels. zero production yesterday and zero today. Panels are 27° tilt.
            How counter-productive to power generation would it be to design a panel with a defroster? I wonder if you could salt your panels (that would leave a nice nasty residue...)?

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by subdriver97
              How counter-productive to power generation would it be to design a panel with a defroster? I wonder if you could salt your panels (that would leave a nice nasty residue...)?
              No problem but you are talking about electric resistance heating - it would use very much power
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• subdriver97
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by russ
                No problem but you are talking about electric resistance heating - it would use very much power
                solar panel windshield wipers?

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

solar panel windshield wipers?
                  defrosters are not wind shield wipers - two different things - adding complexity is gonna cause more head ache than it is worth.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• subdriver97
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2014

defrosters are not wind shield wipers
                    who said they were the same thing? also, it was a joke... ease up a little...

Comment

• subdriver97
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2014

Does than mean you definitively know that the heater would use more power than a panel would have generated minus the snow? What numbers could we assume for the heater power usage and panel power generation?

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Does than mean you definitively know that the heater would use more power than a panel would have generated minus the snow? What numbers could we assume for the heater power usage and panel power generation?
                        It is a loser and has been brought up many times and beat to death many times - if you want then you figure it out.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• subdriver97
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2014

It is a loser and has been brought up many times and beat to death many times - if you want then you figure it out.
                          If that is the case, you can just state so. There's no reason to re-hash the exercise if it has been performed in the past. Thanks for your wisdom. It is tremendously enlightening.

Comment

• bcroe
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2012

Here enough snow accumulates, if it all slid down (toward the sun) the pile would be so high
                            to easily block the sun. I counter by pushing as much as practical up over the top and behind,
                            or off the sides. Still with panels at 20" ground clearance, snow in front needed to be moved
                            farther away. Here are some pics of what happened here; not massive snow falls, but none
                            of it melted till spring.

Measurements here indicate a string could be disconnected and fed to the string to defrost it.
                            It would take so much power that only a fraction of my total could be done at a time. The
                            wiring complexity and power control would be a major project. However, it should take less
                            than an hour, so in a few days you might come out ahead on energy.

My conclusions are that panels should be elevated to near vertical for the snow season.
                            Perhaps mounting them about twice as high above the grounds as these would deal better
                            with accumulation, but hinder manual clearing. Ideal might be to tilt them slightly past
                            vertical for a storm, then back after. That would require a motor, but maybe not so hard
                            to do after the tilt mechanism is worked out. Voids the panel warrantee I'm told. Here
                            the wind would be blowing the snow toward the back of the panels, or alongside, not head on.

Bruce Roe
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Bikerscum
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
                              Ideal might be to tilt them slightly past vertical for a storm, then
                              back after. That would require a motor, but maybe not so hard to do after the tilt mechanism
                              is worked out. Voids the panel warrantee I'm told. Here the wind would be blowing the snow
                              toward the back of the panels, or alongside, not head on.

Bruce Roe
                              Makes me wonder if that could be done with just double acting air cylinders. Cheap, simple, powerful.... and with clevis mounts at the ends can be a structural part of the mount.

A shop compressor with a two way valve for control.

Get on it. lol
                              6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

Working...