X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carl_NH
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Biker,

Not a bad idea - another forum I follow with a ground mount system they essentially used a chaise lounge type ratchet setup on 4 panels at a time to adjust between seasons for optimum angle. Once in the spring to 25* and once in the fall to like 50*.

Bruce - what do you use to clean off the panels - blower or snow brush? We are getting ours installed next month on the garage roof, and snow will be a factor - even though we have a 35* angle snow should slide off unless its mushy then freezes like it did this last storm.

I intend to modify an aluminum house snow rake with rubber blade instead. Anyone else in the snow belt - how do you clean your panels off?

Carl

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Carl_NH
      Biker, Not a bad idea - another forum I follow with a ground mount
      system they essentially used a chaise lounge type ratchet setup on 4 panels at a time to adjust
      between seasons for optimum angle. Once in the spring to 25* and once in the fall to like 50*.

Bruce - what do you use to clean off the panels - blower or snow brush? We are getting ours
      installed next month on the garage roof, and snow will be a factor - even though we have a 35*
      angle snow should slide off unless its mushy then freezes like it did this last storm.

I intend to modify an aluminum house snow rake with rubber blade instead. Anyone else in
      the snow belt - how do you clean your panels off? Carl
      Carl, First one with a practical tilt scheme gets the big prize. I was thinking more like tilting
      24 panels at a time. To solve the snow problem, you need to go vertical at least sometimes.

I have a 12' wooden pole with a plastic pusher somebody here recommended; has one lip facing
      away for pushing, the other reversed for pulling. No metal poles for me, I don't wan't to be
      directly connected to 420 VDC in case I poke a hole in a panel. I don't know how to use a blower,
      esp when the far edge is 10' away.

One thing not done this summer, was some motion detector lights out there. Useful for clearing
      snow and other things. Have these everywhere else. Bruce

Comment

• Bikerscum
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2014

Bruce,

Some time when you have time to kill, go to bimba.com & play with their cylinder designer. It'll even give you CAD models of the design. A cheap air cylinder can generate an amazing amount of pressure, with little input pressure. Kinda like the brake system on a car. Their cylinders are good to -40f.

I can easily envision them raising 24 panels at a time.

But then, I don't have to build it
        6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Bikerscum
          Bruce,
          Some time when you have time to kill, go to bimba.com & play with their cylinder designer. It'll even
          give you CAD models of the design. A cheap air cylinder can generate an amazing amount of pressure,
          with little input pressure. Kinda like the brake system on a car. Their cylinders are good to -40f.
          I can easily envision them raising 24 panels at a time. But then, I don't have to build it
          I see the main problem as how to mount and pivot the panels. In theory my current platforms
          can change. But if pushed to vertical, the strut would be more than double length. Such a long
          stroke is a problem. And how do I reach 10' in the air to connect/disconnect things. Trying to
          push near the ground means the forces will be multiplied and break things. No place to lean a
          ladder; slip and go right thru a panel.

Seems like the panels need to pivot near the center of gravity (some 8' above the ground). Then
          the forces won't actually be lifting hundreds of lb., just swivel them. Something on the order of
          a garage door opener is my speed. An air cylinder could build up pressure, then suddenly slam
          things as they came loose. Bruce

Comment

• Mb190e
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2014

Looks like it took 2 consecutive 40+ degree days to get the snow off the panels. 4 days with almost 0 production. I will be ordering a rubber snow rake hopefully today because I don't see 2 40° days being the norm for December, January and February after 14 inches of snow in upstate New York.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

burning through diesel this last week and next, solid clouds, rain. not as fun as it could be.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• LucMan
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2010

I use a plastic roof rake from home depot to clean off my panels. Yes it has metal poles, but if you can poke a hole through a panel with the plastic roof rake it would really surprise me.
                I dropped my 30 foot fatmax tape measure onto a panel from 10 ft above and it didn't even scratch the glass. These BP sx 3200 panels are tough.

Comment

• DanS26
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Dec 2011

I went a step further and bolted three snow rakes together...makes snow removal go twice as fast. Works well for snowfall up to 4", any deeper I go back to a single rake.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

Pushing Snow

Originally posted by DanS26
                    I went a step further and bolted three snow rakes together...makes snow removal go twice as fast. Works well for snowfall up to 4", any deeper I go back to a single rake.
                    Should try that here. Since my panels are turned vertically, the max width ought to
                    to be what fits inside 1 panel frame the narrow way. Guess I'd also need a single
                    head for when its too deep.

As for the metal pole, these things are dangerous enough, without taking ANY
                    avoidable risk. There are deer repellers up, but I'm just waiting for the day a
                    deer chews a wire; we will be eating pre cooked deer meat. Bruce Roe

Comment

• DanS26
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by bcroe
                      Should try that here. Since my panels are turned vertically, the max width ought to
                      to be what fits inside 1 panel frame the narrow way. Guess I'd also need a single
                      head for when its too deep.

As for the metal pole, these things are dangerous enough, without taking ANY
                      avoidable risk. There are deer repellers up, but I'm just waiting for the day a
                      deer chews a wire; we will be eating pre cooked deer meat. Bruce Roe
                      Bruce, I can understand your concern with the metal pole touching the panel frames, but I do not consider that anymore dangerous than just touching the frames with your hand. Also if I'm removing snow I'm in heavy rubber boots and heavy leather gloves, both good insulators. I guess I could wrap the handle in heavy electrical tape to provide additional insulation.

I do not do any banging around with my rake on the panels and pretty much let the foam head ride at an angle. My method (after much trial and error) is to move across the top 3 feet of the array and push the snow off the back. Then I plow the middle in the second pass. Finally the lower third is removed in the third pass going back and forth.

The handle never touches the array in any manner with this method.

Comment

• Mb190e
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • May 2014

Just returned from Home Depot with one of the plastic blade snow rakes we will see how it goes.

Comment

• Mb190e
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • May 2014

Is there really a concern with the metal pole touching the frame? The metal frame should not be electrically charged correct? Seems like if there was a dead short to the ground the system would blow a fuse, shut down or trip a breaker.

Comment

• bcroe
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2012

Bruce, I can understand your concern with the metal pole touching the panel frames, but I do not consider that anymore dangerous than just touching the frames with your hand. Also if I'm removing snow I'm in heavy rubber boots and heavy leather gloves, both good insulators. I guess I could wrap the handle in heavy electrical tape to provide additional insulation.

I do not do any banging around with my rake on the panels and pretty much let the foam head ride at an angle. My method (after much trial and error) is to move across the top 3 feet of the array and push the snow off the back. Then I plow the middle in the second pass. Finally the lower third is removed in the third pass going back and forth.
                            The handle never touches the array in any manner with this method.
                            Agreed I don't have a problem leaning on the well grounded frame (on a nice warm,
                            dry day). However when everything is wet & cold, I'm standing in loose snow & ice
                            on top of 6" of packed snow, in hand & foot wear with no electrical rating, swinging
                            around something a dozen feet long, cleaning 1800 square feet of panels, I have no
                            confidence that I will never knock a hole in a panel. So to each his own.

As for the deer, there is a 1A fuse in the GFI circuit completing the loop to ground.
                            I'm guessing the deer (or anything else) will be dead by the time the current gets
                            high enough to blow it. MAYBE it would be safer to determine, just how small a
                            fuse would stand up to leakage. Another experiment.... Bruce

Comment

• DanS26
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by bcroe
                              Agreed I don't have a problem leaning on the well grounded frame (on a nice warm,
                              dry day). However when everything is wet & cold, I'm standing in loose snow & ice
                              on top of 6" of packed snow, in hand & foot wear with no electrical rating, swinging
                              around something a dozen feet long, cleaning 1800 square feet of panels, I have no
                              confidence that I will never knock a hole in a panel. So to each his own.

As for the deer, there is a 1A fuse in the GFI circuit completing the loop to ground.
                              I'm guessing the deer (or anything else) will be dead by the time the current gets
                              high enough to blow it. MAYBE it would be safer to determine, just how small a
                              fuse would stand up to leakage. Another experiment.... Bruce
                              Bruce, Just to ease your mind...snow and ice are very good insulators and unless very contaminated are not very good conductors.

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

Bruce, Just to ease your mind...snow and ice are very good insulators and unless very contaminated are not very good conductors.
                                Where do you find snow or ice that is not contaminated?
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...