Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• testing solar panel output

Hi,

I'm in the process of updating my system and am wondering if my array is producing what it should be or if there is something that is wired incorrectly. I have 2 arrays. I array is almost 18 years old and the other is about 12 years old. In testing the output of my old array I am getting the properly rated voltage output but my amperage is not even close to what the individuals panels are rated at. I am trying to figure out where the issue may lie in terms of poor production. I have also noticed that the system seems to produce better first thing in the morning then it does at midday. The tester I am using is new and can be used both as amp, voltage, and ohm meter with the ability to zero out so that there is a good baseline. If I find that the panels aren't producing at the rated level minus the wear rate due to age is there a way to get a rebate or refund from the panel maker, which I am not sure exists anymore or not.

I am thinking that the way to test each panel would be to place a probe on the positive and negative output terminals of each panel's junction box. Plus I check the output at the combiner box to see if there is any loss due to improper wire sizing by the electrician that installed the panels originally. Does this sound correct?

Walter

Originally posted by Wallymtn View Post
    Hi,
    I'm in the process of updating my system and am wondering if my array is producing what it should be or if there is something that is wired incorrectly. I have 2 arrays. I array is almost 18 years old and the other is about 12 years old. In testing the output of my old array I am getting the properly rated voltage output but my amperage is not even close to what the individuals panels are rated at. I am trying to figure out where the issue may lie in terms of poor production. I have also noticed that the system seems to produce better first thing in the morning then it does at midday. The tester I am using is new and can be used both as amp, voltage, and ohm meter with the ability to zero out so that there is a good baseline. If I find that the panels aren't producing at the rated level minus the wear rate due to age is there a way to get a rebate or refund from the panel maker, which I am not sure exists anymore or not.

I am thinking that the way to test each panel would be to place a probe on the positive and negative output terminals of each panel's junction box. Plus I check the output at the combiner box to see if there is any loss due to improper wire sizing by the electrician that installed the panels originally. Does this sound correct? Walter
    Is that a grid tie or battery system? How are the batteries. How many, configuration?

One check is disconnect all the panels and short the leads of each one. In good sun, use
    a clamp on DC Ammeter to check the (short circuit) current for each panel. You may find
    a couple poor performers, or just all down. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
    X