HUP Solar Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUP Solar Batteries

I am new to the forum, so please excuse my lack of knowledge in navigating around and obtaining information.
    I am off grid – have a Xantrex XW 6048 system – 5200 Watts of solar panels and 16 Deka Solar Batteries (L16’s – 740AH). I also have a 6 KW auto start generator connected to the Xantrex system.

My batteries are at the end of their life and need to be replaced.

I am thinking of going with HUP Solar Batteries from solar one.
    So my question are regarding Hup Solar One batteries (SO-6-85-17) from:

http://www.firemountainsolar.com/man...lar-batteries/

Any experience with Fire Mountain Solar and/or HUP Solar Batteries?
    Does four SO-6-85-17 batteries seem too much for my system?
    Can I go higher to say SO-6-85-21 or 25 batteries?
    I really want the best batteries for my system that will last the longest.
    Any advice or information is appreciated – thank you.

Only comment I am going to make is if you need 720 AH, then use 720 AH batteries. Do not use parallel batteries.

Only other comment I will make if that inverter is 6000 watts at 48 volts. The minimum AH capacity required is 1000 AH. That does not mean it is enough to meet your needs or demands, but the minimum size required to supply 125 amps at 6000 watts.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

I do not quite understand your post. Perhaps I was not clear in what I was saying and asking:
      I am going to buy new batteries.
      My current batteries are L16 – 48 volt – two parallel rows for a total of 740 AH.
      I am proposing to get 4 (SO-6-85-17) 12 volt batteries in series for 48 volts @ 845 AH.
      Does anyone have experience with HUP Solar Batteries?
      Does anyone have experience with Fire Mountain Solar?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        Only comment I am going to make is if you need 720 AH, then use 720 AH batteries. Do not use parallel batteries.

Only other comment I will make if that inverter is 6000 watts at 48 volts. The minimum AH capacity required is 1000 AH. That does not mean it is enough to meet your needs or demands, but the minimum size required to supply 125 amps at 6000 watts.
        Those HUP battery systems are made up from 2v batteries at different Ah rating. The SO-6-85-17 "12volt" system has 6 x 2v 845Ah batteries. Get two set of that and you have a 24volt system. 4 sets (in series) gets you a 48volt 845Ah system.

I have not experience with the Hup system but it seems like a better choice to get a 48volt 845Ah system with all the batteries wired in series the using those 16 6v DEKA wired series / parallel.

Comment

The 845 amps will be more fit for your current setup, unless you plan to put more panels in the near future, you shouldn't get the large amps battery. 5200watt less lost and load, you are barely keep up the C/12 charge rate.

Comment

you are saying that my system will have difficulty keeping 4 (SO-6-85-17) 12 volt batteries in series for 48 volts @ 845 AH - fully charged?

what if I program the auto start generator to kick in to help top it off?

what does C/12 charge rate mean?

Comment

Originally posted by WoodArt View Post
              what does C/12 charge rate mean?
              The minimum required charge current where C = the battery AH rating, and 12 is the number of hours. So for a 845 AH battery 845 AH / 12 H = 70 amps. At 48 volts would require a minimum 3520 watts of panel. That just means the minimum panel wattage, does not mean it is enough to replace what is used in a day. It could also mean way over kill. It is just the minimum panel wattage required for the battery capacity. Any off-grid system or Hybrid system requires a generator.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

I have a friend with HIP batteries, and he has been happy with them.

A single sires string of 2v 800ah batteries is better than 2 parallel strings of 400ah batteries.

If you can program your genset to run for 20 or 30 minutes in the AM, it can boost the batteries up to where the solar can finish them. Running the genset in the AM, when batteries are low, and the genset is fully loaded, is better than running it at half load for absorb.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Woodard...did you go with the HUP batteries? If you did, how have they worked out for you?
                  Building off grid in Far West TX

Comment

Working...
                  X