X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbg192
    • Oct 2014

Advice on handling water spots on a brand new solar install

Short Story: My installer washed my new solar panels with hard well water, leaving them covered with water spots. I’m now looking for advice on how to handle this situation with my installer. Is there an easy fix here, a safe way to remove these water spots with cleaners that will not hurt the glass or have any long term damaging effects? Should I settle for a financial discount for having ‘damaged’ panels? Should I request that my panels be replaced? Or should I accept the spotted panels and move on?

Full story:
    I just finished up my new solar installation. However, my new panels are now water spotted after my installer washed my panels with hard water. After my install was complete, my installer promised to wash the panels down to remove the dirt that had accumulated during the install. My installer did use a water deionizer, but for those who know deionizers, they don’t work very well when the resin is exhausted. My installers used a CR Spotless Deionizer System and the water coming out of the system is supposed to read 000, or pure mineral-free water, on the outflow TDS meter for 95% of the life expectancy of the resin. Once the meter reads above 020, it needs to be changed. The meter on the unit used to wash my panels read 240, meaning my panels were cleaned with hard well water full of minerals.

A professional solar cleaner came and cleaned the panels again, this time with actual deionized water, but my panels are still spotted with hard spots etched into the glass. I’ve personally tried cleaning the panels with various mild cleaning products, scrubbing them with microfiber cloths, but to no avail as the spots appear to be etched into the glass. I don’t want to use any harsh chemicals that may harm or scratch the glass or damage the anti-reflective coating. The spots are clearly visible at all times of the day (especially at night with an LED flashlight).

I look at this the same way I would buying a new car. It would be completely unacceptable to walk onto a dealer’s lot and have your brand new car covered in hard water spots, not when you’re spending thousands of dollars and making a large, long-term investment. I had already planned on buying a deionizer to clean my panels so that I would never have to deal with spotting, but it’s a little too late for that now. My biggest concern is that these spots will affect panel performance by affecting light transmission. What makes this whole situation worse is that I’ve already had a ton of issues with my installer along the way, this is simply the icing on the cake.

The reason I’m sharing all of this is because I’m looking for input and advice on how I should handle this situation with my installer, as I’m too frustrated and exhausted from the prior headaches I’ve had with this install to think straight. I’m curious to know how others would approach this situation if they were in my shoes. Is there an easy fix here, a safe way to remove these water spots with cleaners that will not hurt the glass or have any long term damaging effects? Anything safe and designed for solar panels? Should I settle for a financial discount for having ‘damaged’ panels? Should I request that my panels be replaced? Or should I accept the spotted panels and move on?

Any advice or tips on how to proceed would be very much so appreciated. Thank you.

**Note: All of these pictures were taken after the panels were cleaned; they looked about 10x worse than this before the cleaning. Also, it's very difficult photographing water spots to make the camera focus. Sorry if they're not the best; you'll likely need to zoom in to see the spots clearly**

Pic1.jpgPic2.jpgPic3.jpg
  • Ian S
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

You could see if this stuff works. I don't know whether it will remove existing spots. There are specialized aquarium cleaning solutions or you could make your own from vinegar and see if that removes the spots. A diluted vinegar solution shouldn't harm the panels as it's probably no more aggressive than acid rain. Try it on one small spot first. Truth be told, the water marks probably will not have a huge effect on your output. Experiments here and elsewhere with crud buildup far worse than your waterspots show cleaning a very dirty panel only makes about 5% difference in output.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

I really doubt your water is any worse than here - we sit on limestone hills. Washing well with either a commercial lime remover or a vinegar solution does the job on glass.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Wash /wipe with vinegar, that should clear it up. if not, ask the installer to fix, or refund some of the price.

In the future, the Mr Clean Carwash Kit has a DI cartridge, you should be able to use that for a final rinse, if it can spray as far as your panels are. I wash mine in the early mornings, while they still have dew on them, everything is soft and washes off easily and no thermal shock from cold water/hot sun.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• FunGas
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by jbg192
          cleaners that will not hurt the glass or have any long term damaging effects?
          As long as you're not using hydrochloric acid to wipe the panels down you should be OK.

I used 90% alchohol after installation, give them a really good rub down with that, it should clean anything off.
          After the cleaning, I used Rain-X, follow the instructions and it will last for months, just hose the dust off in the mornings.

You should be more worried about "cleaning agents" attacking the sealing compounds around the panels.

Vinegar is a good idea, dip a sheet of newspaper in vinegar and rub to a perfect shine, just like how mum used to make me clean the windows
          Dem

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by FunGas
            As long as you're not using hydrochloric acid to wipe the panels down you should be OK.

I used 90% alchohol after installation, give them a really good rub down with that, it should clean anything off.
            After the cleaning, I used Rain-X, follow the instructions and it will last for months, just hose the dust off in the mornings.

You should be more worried about "cleaning agents" attacking the sealing compounds around the panels.

Vinegar is a good idea, dip a sheet of newspaper in vinegar and rub to a perfect shine, just like how mum used to make me clean the windows
            Hydrochloric acid would discolor the frames as well.

Rain-X wouldn't comment on using their product on solar panels last time I contacted them. They had not tested it so wouldn't talk about it.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...