Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General grid-tie informational posts/stickies?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General grid-tie informational posts/stickies?

Hey guys, I'm looking at setting up some grid-tie systems soon, and I need the 101 on setup and getting them functioning properly. Are there some good resources you could point me to so I can educate myself on the subject? Thanks.
    3680W - FLEXmax 80 - FX3048T - 8x L16P-AC 435Ah

Grid Tie used to be as simple as it gets. But now new codes have complicated it some in different areas.

Mount the panels on something
    Wire them to a disconnect switch
    Wire the switch to the GT inverter
    Wire the inverter to your electrical panel. (may need to be upgraded)

Depending on permit requirements in your city, you can buy parts, get roof load calculations signed by engineer, and install and wire yourself. Or you may need lic electrician to do the wiring.

Or you may go the micro-inverter route, and put the electronics up with the panels.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      Grid Tie used to be as simple as it gets. But now new codes have complicated it some in different areas.

Mount the panels on something
      Wire them to a disconnect switch
      Wire the switch to the GT inverter
      Wire the inverter to your electrical panel. (may need to be upgraded)

Depending on permit requirements in your city, you can buy parts, get roof load calculations signed by engineer, and install and wire yourself. Or you may need lic electrician to do the wiring.

Or you may go the micro-inverter route, and put the electronics up with the panels.
      Mike, that was a masterful "in a nutshell" post.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
        Mike, that was a masterful "in a nutshell" post.
        He did give a good bullet point list but forgot about "try not to fall off the roof" and "don't get electrocuted while wiring the panels".

Comment

That does sound pretty straightforward....what is the purpose of the disconnect switch?

Comment

Originally posted by miahallen View Post
            That does sound pretty straightforward....what is the purpose of the disconnect switch?
            Short answer - code requirement. More obvious answer: The on/off switch for the sun is inaccessible to all except Montgomery Burns. If you, or anyone else, needs to service the inverter during the day, you'll need a way to disconnect the DC voltage generated by the panels.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
              He did give a good bullet point list but forgot about "try not to fall off the roof" and "don't get electrocuted while wiring the panels".
              Set the parking brake on the car before exiting the vehicle. Wear your seat-belt. Not for internal use. Not FCC Approved. At your own risk only. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Software is not returnable. Do not use in shower or while sleeping. Consult physician before taking in conjunction with other products. Due to the methods of production, each garment will be slightly different; this is meant to make each one individual. Store above 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Not a lifesaving device. Cape does not enable user to fly. Keep fingers and toes out from underneath. Contents are measured by weight, not volume. There is a danger of explosion and risk of personal injury if the battery is incorrectly replaced or mistreated; do not attempt to recharge the battery, disassemble it, immerse it in water, or dispose of it in fire. To reduce the risk of electrical shock, do not remove the third (ground) prong. Before beginning these procedures, ensure that you are discharged of static electricity. Allow components to cool before touching. Installing incorrectly may cause damage. Do not force. To protect against data loss, create a backup disk before proceeding. May cause drowsiness. May prevent sleep. Use as a handle at your own risk. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. We have attempted to preserve the sound of the original recording; however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape due to its high resolution. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem to be right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Not edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here.

Do not write below this line.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

I think you hit the nail on the head!
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

It may be quite obvious and just common sense to all of you who have been dealing with this stuff for years...but there is no need to mock me.
                  Thank you sensij, your answer was quite helpful

Comment

+1. I think you covered just about everything.

Comment

Originally posted by miahallen View Post
                      It may be quite obvious and just common sense to all of you who have been dealing with this stuff for years...but there is no need to mock me.
                      Thank you sensij, your answer was quite helpful
                      sorry, not trying too mock you, but to shed light on the solar requirements. On every project, there are thousands of things that are not directly related to the subject. I only listed the relative issues in the first post, leaving the rest to be personal responsibility. I would think that being up 20' on a sloped roof, you have already tied your shoelaces and put on clean underwear.

The problem in the modern world, is there is too much mollycoddling going on, and children are so cocooned and protected, they have never experienced a hammer, let alone hitting their thumb with it. I'm an old fart and take the basic safety stuff as a given.

batteries not included.

Comment

The problem in the modern world, is there is too much mollycoddling going on, and children are so cocooned and protected, they have never experienced a hammer, let alone hitting their thumb with it. I'm an old fart and take the basic safety stuff as a given.
                        Not just in solar but life in general - the "everyone gets a ribbon" generation with little or no discipline is hard to take at times.

I am glad to be 69 and sorry for my kids that they have to tolerate the present situation which will no doubt only get softer, lazier and always be looking for more freebies.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                          Not just in solar but life in general - the "everyone gets a ribbon" generation with little or no discipline is hard to take at times.

I am glad to be 69 and sorry for my kids that they have to tolerate the present situation which will no doubt only get softer, lazier and always be looking for more freebies.
                          When my daughter was in third grade she said "When everyone gets a reward there is no reward!". If a third grader can figure this out, then why is it so hard for the adults to understand?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
                            When my daughter was in third grade she said "When everyone gets a reward there is no reward!". If a third grader can figure this out, then why is it so hard for the adults to understand?
                            They're too busy flying the helicopter.

Comment

At the risk of further humiliating myself...I just would like some input on this subject one more time. I was awarded the contract to install this 20KW 440V 3ph grid-tie inverter. Based on those spec, the previous advice still stands, correct? And, I'm not talking about all the silliness, I'm referring to the technical advice

Each panel is a 60-cell 35V 250W configuration, the inverter is rated for DC input of 620V with max open circuit voltage of 850V. "Range of MPPT Voltage" is 200-820V. I'm planning to run either:
                              • four 15 panel strings. DC power should be sitting at about 525V and up to 28.5A
                              • three 20 panel strings. DC power should be sitting at about 700V and up to 21.5A

Either option should be OK for running 8ga wiring to the inverter (about 200ft round trip) with under 1% loss.
                              The inverter will then be wired into the warehouse 3ph mains at 440V AC. I'll have a disconnect on the DC side. The inverter will handle up to 850V open circuit voltage, rated DC voltage is 620V.

Comment

Working...
                              X