Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 volts Pmax panel without charge controller !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 volts Pmax panel without charge controller !

Hi friends .

i have seen one solar panel with Pmax 30 volts . its from suntech , mono .

can i use that panel directly on the 24 volts battery bank of 200 AH , WITHOUT CHARGE CONTROLLER ? plz keep in mind that the discharge / use of the battery will b contentious and there is no chances of over charging . the panel will give max 8 amps on 30 volts pmax . its Voc is 38 volts .

kindly comment

Originally posted by nadeem5476 View Post
    Hi friends .

i have seen one solar panel with Pmax 30 volts . its from suntech , mono .

can i use that panel directly on the 24 volts battery bank of 200 AH , WITHOUT CHARGE CONTROLLER ? plz keep in mind that the discharge / use of the battery will b contentious and there is no chances of over charging . the panel will give max 8 amps on 30 volts pmax . its Voc is 38 volts .

kindly comment
    The panel will produce a limited amount of current, depending on the amount of sunlight hitting it. The most current it can ever deliver will be Isc, and the panel itself will not be damaged by a load which draws that current.
    So, as long as the maximum current to the battery (somewhere between Imp and Isc) will not damage the battery. For a 200AH battery, 8A will not be too high a current, even if there is no load at the time.
    So the only concern would be what would happen if the load it turned off and the panel is left connected. Eventually the battery would reach full charge and the panel would continue to deliver 8A through it. For an FLA battery that would boil off a lot of electrolyte and eventually cause problems. For a sealed AGM battery it would depend on what the maximum recombination rate of the battery is.

So it all comes down to whether you can be completely sure that nobody will ever leave the panel connected when the load is disconnected (holiday, maintenance, etc.) A simple overvoltage alarm and disconnect might help you with that, but also might cost as much as a simple 8A capable PWM CC.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

^^ thanks for the reply , please let me know that in the night times the current will flow backwards from the battery to the panel and will discharge the battery (if there is no charge controller is connected) ?

Yes thats pretty sure that the load will b 24 / 7 connected and running from the battery .

m gona hook it tomorrow morning directly without charge controller

Comment

If I not mistaken, the panels suppose have diodes that stop the current flow from the battery to the panels.

Comment

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
          If I not mistaken, the panels suppose have diodes that stop the current flow from the battery to the panels.
          ok , noted .

thanks .

Comment

Working...
          X