Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery wiring question

Hi,

i am looking at getting 20 x 100 ah deep cycle batteries to replace 6 x 210ah batteries.
    Any suggestions on the best way to wire them together? They will be incorporated into a 24V system.
    I have figured i can 12 batteries on the top of a rack setup and 8 underneath them (as that is all my space will allow for) i also don't want to run wiring longer than i have to, or change the current wiring setup .
    + + + + (+ ) ( - )
    - - - - - +

+ + + -
    - - - +

I was thinking of configuring them is something like this configuration. the pos and neg go to the inverter.
    sorry if it seems a bit basic but can't think of another way to type it here.

Originally posted by archerpalms View Post
    Hi,

i am looking at getting 20 x 100 ah deep cycle batteries to replace 6 x 210ah batteries.
    Any suggestions on the best way to wire them together? They will be incorporated into a 24V system.
    I have figured i can 12 batteries on the top of a rack setup and 8 underneath them (as that is all my space will allow for) i also don't want to run wiring longer than i have to, or change the current wiring setup .
    + + + + (+ ) ( - )
    - - - - - +

+ + + -
    - - - +

I was thinking of configuring them is something like this configuration. the pos and neg go to the inverter.
    sorry if it seems a bit basic but can't think of another way to type it here.
    As you can see, your text diagram did not work. Try putting it inside "Code" tags using the # formatting button.
    Regardless, to get 24V from 20 12V batteries will require creating 10 series strings of two batteries each and putting those ten strings in parallel. That will be a maintenance nightmare and will kill batteries in short order. The problem is that it will be impossible to balance the charging and discharging currents across the ten strings of batteries.

Instead, if you want something close to 630AH of capacity at 24V, or 1000AH using your new battery bank, you should get twelve 2V batteries with a capacity of about 600AH (or 1000AH) each and put them all in series to make your 24V bank.
    Better, for that amount of energy storage, would be 48V system.

At least you are not trying to put together a 12V only system!

Can you tell us some more about what kind of loads you need to power (in terms of watt-hours over a 24 hour period)? That is really where system design needs to start.

PS: Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      Can you tell us some more about what kind of loads you need to power (in terms of watt-hours over a 24 hour period)? That is really where system design needs to start.

PS: Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!
      Thanks!

I am not actually designing a system,as i already have a good system installed.

i am just looking at upgrading/replacing the original batteries,i had the opportunity to to grab the 20 x 100ah as they were second hand and cheap and additional battery storage never goes astray!.I have never had to deal with that many batteries so was just looking for the best way to wire them in the space i have.

Comment

Working...
      X