Conduit Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conduit Installation

I am a homeowner with residential electrical experience.
    I am installing a 14 panel microinverter, grid-tie, system.
    The panels are being installed 3 feet from the ridge and right edge. My panel on a wall close (<50ft) to the right edge. I was considering just running some non-metallic flex conduit from a simple single-gang weatherproof j-box on the upper right corner of the array, 3 feet to edge, around the fascia board, back under the 1 foot eave and then back through the stucco into the attic.
    Wiring is #10 conductors and #8 ground to 30A Disconnect and then 20A breaker at main 200A panel.

I talked with one of my county inspectors, he said, why don't I just go through the roof right next to the corner panel?
    I said I was hoping to have no external roof penetrations - I am using quickmountPV tile hooks so the tope surface of the roof is intact.
    He said, your roof vents go through tiles, so why not your electrical?

What do members here think, should I route my electrical through the roof?

It sounds like your install is similar to mine. Here's what I did, using 3/4 rigid. I don't think it looks very good, a roof penetration probably would have looked better. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I really need to do some painting

IMG_3322.JPGIMG_3323.JPGroof conduit small.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
      It sounds like your install is similar to mine. Here's what I did, using 3/4 rigid. I don't think it looks very good, a roof penetration probably would have looked better. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I really need to do some painting

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5193[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5195[/ATTACH]
      Yes, the look is very important with clean installation.
      Attached Files

Comment

Very Similar to Mine

Steve,
        Thanks for the reply.
        Your install conduit install coming out of the panel looks very similar to what I was originally planning.
        I was going to use a single gang WP box, you used a 2 gang and some rigid where I planned EMT and LBs.
        The pictures were really helpful.
        Another difference for me is that I cannot reach the panel by running conduit under the eave, but that does look nice!

How did you mount your 2 gang junction box to your rail?

thanks again,
        Wayne

Comment

Nice Conduit Job

Originally posted by silversaver View Post
          Yes, the look is very important with clean installation.
          Love the conduit work!

-Wayne (2011 Volt)

Comment

Originally posted by 2011Volt View Post
            How did you mount your 2 gang junction box to your rail?
            I made a right-angle bracket that mounted to the top of my rail with the type of nut and bolt that the rest of the stuff on the rail (Microinverters etc.) used. Here's a pic, although it's hard to make out. The black cord is the top rail's engage cable for its microinverters, the flex conduit is to a similar single gang box on a lower rail for connection to that rail's engage cable.

IMG_3254.JPG

I agree, Silversaver, that looks like nice work.

EDIT: Thanks for the compliment, by the way. Oh, I used a double box because I had a few things in there that would have been tight on a single: A small ground bus, One enphase engage cable, four number 12s to another rail, and the #10s going to the panel. I needed more room to work.

Comment

Working...
            X