X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by doubledipsoon
    I appreciate your optimism, but, solar and wind have never been ready for prime time, and still aren't. Back in the early seventies when we all assumed that solar and wind would explode onto the economic scene, we didn't realize how technology would complicate a great idea, make it economically unfeasible for the vast majority of people, and pretty much nip it in the bud. Why? Because solar "hard technology" moved in on solar "soft technology". It's like electric bikes- the reason China has 250,000,000 ebikes and the good old USA has only 250,000 is because they keep it simple, uncomplicated, and cheap. China is off and running into the solar/wind future, while we are making things so complicated and expensive that no one can afford it, or wants to do it. Solar/Wind is not only out of sight and out of reach, it's out of control. Optimism about solar and wind proliferation is simply not tied to the facts. If what you're saying about it being affordable is really true, then where the hell are all the roof-top solar panels? I really want to know. You see, there's still a damn good reason why it hasn't happened.....
    You really have a funny idea about the world.

1) In the 70's anyone assuming solar would explode simply wasn't looking at the facts.
    2) Your rant about it being due to technology makes no sense at all.
    3) How come China has all those ebikes? Because that is what people can afford and they don't mind riding them. Not gonna happen in the US like that - everyone wants to drive a 4 wheel drive two blocks to the market. India is the same for bike usage if not ebikes. The energy for ebikes comes from coal powered power plants anyway.
    4) China is subsidizing solar greatly.
    5) Until storage is available RE from any source is quite limited in scope.
    6) If you look and especially in CA you will see them.

What I said - if you read and comprehend - in high cost areas solar can fit today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• solar pete
      Administrator
      • May 2014

Originally posted by russ
      You really have a funny idea about the world.

1) In the 70's anyone assuming solar would explode simply wasn't looking at the facts.
      2) Your rant about it being due to technology makes no sense at all.
      3) How come China has all those ebikes? Because that is what people can afford and they don't mind riding them. Not gonna happen in the US like that - everyone wants to drive a 4 wheel drive two blocks to the market. India is the same for bike usage if not ebikes. The energy for ebikes comes from coal powered power plants anyway.
      4) China is subsidizing solar greatly.
      5) Until storage is available RE from any source is quite limited in scope.
      6) If you look and especially in CA you will see them.

What I said - if you read and comprehend - in high cost areas solar can fit today.
      +1 from me, hey if you want to see a bunch of solar on roof's come on down to Adelaide Australia, we have got them all over the place, because we pay between .32 to .40 cents per kilowatt hour. So while that is the case getting solar is a no brainer.

Comment

• doubledipsoon
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by solar pete
        +1 from me, hey if you want to see a bunch of solar on roof's come on down to Adelaide Australia, we have got them all over the place, because we pay between .32 to .40 cents per kilowatt hour. So while that is the case getting solar is a no brainer.
        When Sim Van Der Ryn was State Architect back in '74 he was commissioned by then first term Governor Jerry Brown to design and build a solar home for the typical joe, he did it! They're still up at the Farralones Institute, probably completely deteriorated. They were 600 sq. ft. solar heated south facing homes that could be built for pennies. Unfortunately, there were no contractor takers. Guess why- because they couldn't make 200Gs a year fabricating them on the "open market". Sim finally saw the light and tripped onto a huge revelation when he said, "Whenever you hear someone say that it's not economically feasible, that just means they don't want to do it"........I comprehend that! You're right- Americans are not yet equipped to accept solar, and I'd be willing to bet that most Americans think it's "cute", and would never really take it serious. To be blunt, they're just not cool enough to get it together- still very hung up on their ugly SUVs, glutinous houses on the hill, and portfolios pumped up by a huge network of overseas sweatshops. So, how's that for looking at the world funny? I know it's a tad bit too much to handle, but like the saying goes, "We earned it!"

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by doubledipsoon
          When Sim Van Der Ryn was State Architect back in '74 he was commissioned by then first term Governor Jerry Brown to design and build a solar home for the typical joe, he did it! They're still up at the Farralones Institute, probably completely deteriorated. They were 600 sq. ft. solar heated south facing homes that could be built for pennies. Unfortunately, there were no contractor takers. Guess why- because they couldn't make 200Gs a year fabricating them on the "open market. Guess why - nobody wanted to live in a shoe box - this is definitely a Jerry Moonbeam Brown project!

Sim finally saw the light and tripped onto a huge revelation when he said, "Whenever you hear someone say that it's not economically feasible, that just means they don't want to do it"........I comprehend that! You're right- Americans are not yet equipped to accept solar, and I'd be willing to bet that most Americans think it's "cute", and would never really take it serious. Some relatively small percentage of homes are really right for solar - tree problems, face the wrong direction, poor insolation or whatever. Apartment dwellers are not in the market - smae for most condos I suppose.

To be blunt, they're just not cool enough to get it together- still very hung up on their ugly SUVs, glutinous houses on the hill, and portfolios pumped up by a huge network of overseas sweatshops. So, how's that for looking at the world funny? I know it's a tad bit too much to handle, but like the saying goes, "We earned it!"
          You are a whiny type for sure and quite a "progressive" meaning you want everyone else to do what you think is right. If you worked as well as you whine you might earn something as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...