Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical Inspection — Is AC inspected independent of DC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revealing my ignorance here; I have no idea what kind of wire had been installed already. We pulled out those single strand wires, black, green, and white. And we replaced those runs with 12 and 14 Romex. Now if I can rustle up some breakers, I'll be in good shape for an inspection. And then, I can finally add insulation and get the place warm.

Comment

Originally posted by OrdinaryBeauty View Post
      Revealing my ignorance here; I have no idea what kind of wire had been installed already. We pulled out those single strand wires, black, green, and white. And we replaced those runs with 12 and 14 Romex. Now if I can rustle up some breakers, I'll be in good shape for an inspection. And then, I can finally add insulation and get the place warm.
      12 and 14 awg conductors are useless for low voltage. I ask again. WHY?

Its a trick question because there is no good reason you can come up with. You would have to use #6 AWg or larger to be of any use, and a bigger waste of waste of money because a at 20 amps at low voltage will only carry 250 watts. #12 AWG at 120 volts at 20 amps can carry 2000 watts all day with very little loss. 1/10th the cost of #6 AWG and 10 times the power.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

[QUOTE=Sunking;130441]. . . I ask again. WHY?

Why? Because sometimes I just have to take a leap and clean up afterward if I am wrong. And because, in spite of hours of research, I couldn't find any information about how to do what seemed to be possible, so, we just made it up based on things we did know. And sometimes, people who sound like they know what they are talking about, don't. Fortunately for me, winter is here now and there will be no more deciding that needs to be done. Just research, and keeping the rig from sliding into a ditch.

Comment

[QUOTE=OrdinaryBeauty;130447]
          Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          Why? Because sometimes I just have to take a leap and clean up afterward if I am wrong.
          Try talking to the inspection dept and or real electrical people. Not some cable puller.

This is what Mike refers to as Fire, ready, aim!
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

So you had 2 or 3 individual wires going to the boxes?
            No surprise that the inspector failed that.

The good news is that now that you have 12 and 14 romex in place you can use those as regular AC circuilts (which is what I assume you're planning on)

And if I were you, I would probably fire the electrician who suggested running individual wires.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
              +1 on the warm environment.

What is amazing is the number of cities that have started to re-lamp their streetlights from HID to LED. Big expense up front but they see a payback by cutting their wattage in half without (according to the articles) reducing the light output.

Looks like LED's continue to improve in both lumens per watt output and while the original lifespans were a little exaggerated they should last 3 times as long as the HID lamps.
              My city did that. I HATE the LED Streetlight. We all were pretty happy with the Sodium lights and the glare shielding that had been installed on various poles per homeowners requests, and cost. Then, Wham, no warning, they tore out all the shields and put in LEDs. The did come and adjust some of them, but not all, and will not replace the shields. Totally ruined our ambience in our front patio. I now keep my RV in the driveway to block the damn thing.

[QUOTE=russ;130473]

Try talking to the inspection dept and or real electrical people. Not some cable puller.

This is what Mike refers to as Fire, ready, aim!
              Isn't that Ready, Fire, Aim?

LOL.

That cable puller sounds like he basically pulled 12 AWG for an RV in this guys house.

I have run LV cabling in the past, and got it inspected, however it was jacketed, and labeled "Communication". One was for a coffee maker so my ex wife could remotely turn in on when she bothered to get up instead of using a timer.
              House-Sun Earth Hot Water.
              RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

Working...
              X