Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I'm actually getting some decent responses maybe this could be helpful lol.
    What I meant by a grid tie on a timer is the kind you plug in to 110v. With island protection. Plug it into a timer so I can control when the grid tie is actually putting power back into the grid. Like at night the timer goes off to preserve the battery power.

This install is not on my house for anyone who assumed instead of asking lol.
    I have a 2 battery. 1 panel pwn cc offgrid system hooked to my pond. It currently Control 24v led lights. 6 four footers to be exact and two 24 volt valves that are in natural gas heaters.
    I was hoping to expand that system so I could run my 12v air exchanger. Water pumps. Air pump and dehumidifier. All offgrid and bring my hydro back down

BUT if hooking the 4 250w panels to the grid is a better idea then please do fill me in. I'm here to learn.

Thanks
    When Google seems more helpful it's easy to find

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Well if they are not popular tells you your electricity is so cheap, there is no reason to use solar.
      seruously? You're that smart you have my geographical area all figured out do you? Ask my friend assuming is obviously not your strong point

Comment

Originally posted by lovemshaved View Post
        BUT if hooking the 4 250w panels to the grid is a better idea then please do fill me in. I'm here to learn.
        Already been answered. Micro Inverters. Learn to listen.

String or Conventional GT Inverters need at least 200 to 250 volts before they turn on. Your four panels even if wired in series will not meet that requirement. Micro Inverters are made to be attached to each individual panel and operate at single panel voltages.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Hi Everyone,
          brand new here, first posting, I'm looking for some offgrid help,
          so many ppl have so many different ideas and I'm a guy that needs help figuring out who is right,
          I'm tired of the salesmans point of view lol,
          I currently have 4 12v 100ah batteries, 4 250W panels, and one 235W panel,
          what I would like to do is getting a decently priced good controller, and eventually a grid tie all set up for the 24v battery bank

what do you suggest? mppt or pwm? can I run a grid tie off my batteries and put it on a timer so it runs only during the day?
          thanks in advance
          You are looking at many years before you reach break-even. Your plan falls into the domain of MPPT charge controllers, or else you will waste a lot of power. Since you have mis-matched panels, you will likely need 2 separate MPPT controllers.
          Then you will need a hybrid/grid-tie inverter, have the entire system inspected by your local authority, which will check for UL certification (not listed or pending) on the ground clips, J-boxes, earthquake/storm rating on the racking, sometimes engineering sign-off for the roof (or the PV array mounting structure) and all the electrical bits. Then you call the power company and they install the meter/s (it's not clear from your description what the meter system is, I'm only aware of a) single bi-directional meter, b) pair of meters, one on house, one on solar, and their billing computer subtracts the difference.

A timer has no function in a grid-tie system. Proper charge and sell setpoints handle all that.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Actually, you appear to be here to be validated and slam anyone who is trying to help. So maybe google and youtube is a better place to look for the answers you want.

Most of us here, want to:
            have you save money and not waste it on greenwashed junk
            have you install a safe system that we won't see on CNN with 30 firetrucks.
            have you install something that actually works, and you don't have to live by candle-light when the batteries die.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
              Actually, you appear to be here to be validated and slam anyone who is trying to help. So maybe google and youtube is a better place to look for the answers you want.

Most of us here, want to:
              have you save money and not waste it on greenwashed junk
              have you install a safe system that we won't see on CNN with 30 firetrucks.
              have you install something that actually works, and you don't have to live by candle-light when the batteries die.
              Mike I'm not here to slam anyone but I'll be damned if some clown is going to talk down to me and expect me to sit back and take it, bullies didnt go over well back in school with me and they dont now either

all I asked was a simple question from the begging about a charge controller and if it was possible to put the offgrid system on the grid,
              then I get Mr. Sunking (I guess this is where I learn respect for my bully?)
              jumping on the thread, not even reading it right and telling me the things I dont have like a 100w panel is all worthless, then the assclown tells me to listen to learn lol

look i'm not here to fight battles, I won all of those many years ago but I'm not also here to be critisized either,
              youtube is a joke, its full of guys like sunking who know everything or guys that know nothing and pretend they do,
              google is far more informational, read my signature, its the truth

I realize you're a mod and you can ban me, and if you feel free hey go ahead, but at least leave this thread up so someone can come back to it to show sunkings advice is hardly worth listening to, and since there are what 5 ppl involved in this thread and one other has spoke up to say "Mr. Sunking" did the same thing to him, I guess I'm not far off base either,

I appreciate the little but of help a couple of you gave, but obviously learning, burning your house down and spending your money is way more adventurous and fun than dealing with one DB on a forum that really holds not value to me

and I'm not even fixing my typos lol
              peace out

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                Actually, you appear to be here to be validated and slam anyone who is trying to help.
                Russ made a good point about attitude on page 1. It's completely the case that if someone comes in here demanding answers with a bad attitude that the thread will go poorly. I'd like to add to add, that goes both ways. If a regular comes across as full of contempt, well it's understandable when a thread ends up going just like this one.

Comment

Now that I'm actually getting some decent responses maybe this could be helpful lol.
                  What I meant by a grid tie on a timer is the kind you plug in to 110v. With island protection. Plug it into a timer so I can control when the grid tie is actually putting power back into the grid. Like at night the timer goes off to preserve the battery power.

This install is not on my house for anyone who assumed instead of asking lol.
                  The only type of "grid tie" inverter that you have described in bold above are the ones that plug into a receptacle.

First they are totally illegal in the US and Canada and second most if not all are made very cheaply and will fail with the possibility of starting a fire.

So even if you don't want to connect this equipment on your house you still can't legally connect it to any power source that is fed by the Utility grid.

I don't want to battle with you but your questions are misleading and confusing. If this system is not intended for your house then you should have stated what it is for. It is not up to use to ask you questions for clarification. If you want clear answers then you need to state your question with as much detail as possible as well as what your final intent is. How else can we help you without knowing the complete story.

Comment

thread closed. Please start new thread if you want, and please try to be more clear when asking a question.

Comment

Working...
                    X