What size of solar system

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jaust
    • Sep 2014

Thanks guys, that's the first time anyone had explained what problems this may cause. I will tell you that the guy who put this together knew what he was doing and spared no expense in the wiring for this system when he put it together. When I'm up there next week I'll get all the specs and info with pictures of the setup. I've been looking all over the internet and watched so many videos of different setups and how they're micky moused together and I don't know exactly what size wiring I have but I know it's more than adequate. I'll get back to you guys after I get back next week. Thanks again for all your input, cockiness or not.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Jaust
      Thanks again for all your input, cockiness or not.
      Jaust comes asking for help and likes to spout off.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

I will tell you that the guy who put this together knew what he was doing and spared no expense in the wiring for this system when he put it together.
        You are the only one who believes that and not fooling anyone but yourself. Anyone who bought 12 6-volt batteries, made 6 parallel 12 volt battery strings has no clue what they were doing or how dangerous it is. That is why you caught so much flack. You had no clue. Neither did the person who put it together. I can tell you that persons Mind Set. He is trapped in a 12 volt box and has no clue he could have bought the right size batteries and used higher voltage. All he knew was golf cart batteries and 12 volt systems.

That is not busting your chops, just the facts. The only truthful statement is: "Spared No Expense", To bad he could have done it right for a lot less money if he knew what he was doing. Otherwise you would not have to fix it. So be honest with yourself. We did not make you mad. You did that all by yourself from lack of knowledge. We just had to give you an attitude adjustment upside the head with a 2x4 to get your attention.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Thanks Sunking for setting me straight
          You are Welcome. By the way I don't care what John, Dave, and Chris say about me on other forums. They know who they are and yes I see their comments. I don't care.

I am one of them Train Drivers. Great company Boeing is. They also have a Solar Panel Division if you like paying $100/watt for a panel.

Good luck to you.

EDIT NOTE:

This might help explain some things about 12 volt systems. Back in the early days of solar of 20, 30, and even to some extent 10 years ago, there were no Grid Tied Panels, PWM or MPPT charge controllers, readily available 24/48 volt inverters, or a lot of deep cycle batteries on the market. All there was to choose from is 12 volt inverters for mobile users like RV's and Truckers, and golf cart batteries were the only game in town. None of that is true today, except the mind set of being trapped in a 12 volt box. Back in those days it was only utilities that used 24, 48, 96, and 144 volt systems. My guess is the person who set it up is old and set in their ways and not up to date trapped in his 12 volt box.

Don't feel alone, 90% of the folks that come here are trapped in a 12 volt box. Still has applications in RV's, Boats, Truckers, and toys but has no place in a home off-grid system of any usable practical size.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...