Installer says SPS is *optional* feature for SMA TL-US-22 inverters, is that right?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macholini
    • Sep 2014

Installer says SPS is *optional* feature for SMA TL-US-22 inverters, is that right?

Hi all,

I am finally having my solar system installed and it's supposed to come with SB-7000TL-US-22 and SB3000-TL-US-22 inverters, which I thought come with Secure Power Supply as a standard feature. When I came home from work today, however, I noticed the installer had installed the older SB-7000-US-12 model and I did not find any Secure Power Supply (SPS) on either of the inverters. When I called the installer, he said he will change the 7000TL-US-12 to 22 but that SPS is an optional item, and that he charges extra for it (though he said he will double-check this with his distributor).

This all seems fishy to me. Can someone tell me for sure if SPS comes built-in or needs to be ordered as a separate option? Looking at the SMA spec sheet, it seems like SPS should come standard with these inverters:

Thanks.
    11.4 kW LG300, 26S, 12W, SMA SB7000TL, SB3000TL
  • SoCalsolar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2012

What's your contract say?

Contract ought to specify the Inverter model number which ought to be the inverter installed at your location. On that older model make sure it has the optional AFCI as I believe it is required in CA now. The TL has the ability to utilize the SPS but it does not come with or include the needed parts to install the secure power supply. So I would say it is optional as it not required for operation but really it should be included to take advantage of all the features. What's the contract say? That's what you bought. Hopefully your guy will deliver what you want and not charge you too much for it.

Comment

• macholini
      • Sep 2014

Thanks SoCalsolar. My contract lists the inverter but does not say SPS anywhere in the model, and nor does the SMA product page for this inverter. However, SMA seems to be bragging about SPS quite prominently in the description and technical specs so I assumed that this comes standard with this model. For example, under the "Features" section of the product sheet, it says "Yes" for Secure Power Supply, whereas for several other features that are optional, it lists them as "Opt". So, given that they do explicitly call out some features as optional (e.g. extended warranties, Webconnect module, etc.), and they simply say "Yes" on SPS, shouldn't I assume that it comes standard? It seems like this is false product advertising otherwise...

Anyway, I will call SMA support tomorrow and will try to find out.

If anyone else knows for sure (or is distributor, etc.), please let me know.

Thanks!

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by macholini
        Thanks SoCalsolar. My contract lists the inverter but does not say SPS anywhere in the model, and nor does the SMA product page for this inverter. However, SMA seems to be bragging about SPS quite prominently in the description and technical specs so I assumed that this comes standard with this model. For example, under the "Features" section of the product sheet, it says "Yes" for Secure Power Supply, whereas for several other features that are optional, it lists them as "Opt". So, given that they do explicitly call out some features as optional (e.g. extended warranties, Webconnect module, etc.), and they simply say "Yes" on SPS, shouldn't I assume that it comes standard? It seems like this is false product advertising otherwise...

Anyway, I will call SMA support tomorrow and will try to find out.

If anyone else knows for sure (or is distributor, etc.), please let me know.

Thanks!
        Check out this thread, from post #29 onward. It is not safe to assume that it comes standard.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• macholini
          • Sep 2014

Argh, looks like I wasn't the only one that got bitten by this... This is very annoying, and might I say, quite shady on SMA's part -- making a standard feature non-standard without updating specs and documentation...

Comment

• thejq
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by macholini
            Argh, looks like I wasn't the only one that got bitten by this... This is very annoying, and might I say, quite shady on SMA's part -- making a standard feature non-standard without updating specs and documentation...
            No kidding! I've read the spec sheet many times when I was researching for my installation, and always thought the SPS was a standard feature for xxxxTL-US-22 inverters, since SMA have heavily marketed it. Now I just learned something new. It's just bad business practice on SMA's part, as well as your installer who should have foreseen the problem and warned you. Well at least you're happy with the system without the SPS.
            16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• macholini
              • Sep 2014

I have some follow up info on this. I talked to SMA and they said that the TL-US-22 inverters come standard with *the ability* to have SPS but the actual feature requires a few other parts and labor that are the installer's responsibility. There are no specific part numbers that can be ordered from SMA (the terminals needed to connect the SPS do come standard in the inverters) but one needs to get and install a few off-the-shelf components (switched outlet, 5 conductors, conduit, and a box), which takes maybe half an hour of labor. For example, the GE U010S010GRP has a GFCI outlet and switch pre-installed in a surface-mountable weatherproof box, and costs ~$31 at Amazon, Lowe's, or Home Depot.

Anyway, my installer did agree to install the SPS for me at no extra cost but if anyone else is in the same boat, you should be able to get the SPS installed by any electrician after the fact using something like the above (or any other switched 15A outlet, which doesn't even have to be in a weatherproof enclosure if not outside).

Comment

Working...