Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Bank Disconnect switch

Hi All,
    Just wondering if a battery bank shutoff has to be differentiated from a breaker switch in a control panel?
    Walter

Originally posted by Wallymtn View Post
    Hi All,
    Just wondering if a battery bank shutoff has to be differentiated from a breaker switch in a control panel?
    Walter
    Do you mean with a label or a red handle or something like that? If so, no. Although a label would be nice.

Or do you mean how does a disconnect switch differ from a breaker switch?
    A circuit breaker is designed to safely interrupt a flow of current from the battery if the current exceeds certain magnitude and time values. But it can also safely be used as a switch if you choose to do so.
    A disconnect comes in two flavors: load-breaking and non-load-breaking.
    The former can be used to interrupt the flow of current (a normal flow anyway), just as a breaker can be used.
    The latter can only be safely opened when no current (or very small current) is flowing and will be damaged if you open it under load. It can only be used to isolate the wires after something else has opened the circuit.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I was talking about an interrupt of power from the batteries. The reason I was wondering about this is because I am upgrading my inverter to a sine wave one and in look/reading about other details this was one of the things that was shown. In looking more closely at the wiring within my original power center this as well as a shunt for meters is present. The new inverter had a battery monitor system that requires a shunt to accurately measure battery conditions and I didn't think my original system had one, but I was wrong . Won't have to spend so much in my upgrade. I has an breaker installed but didn't think it had the other stuff so was thinking about having to add other stuff in-line to accommodate the new inverter. Thanks for your response

Walter

Comment

For small 12V systems less than 1,000 watts, a common "battery bank selector switch" for boating ($50) will suffice. They are large, round red switches with a black handle.

Larger systems benefit from using a proper DC rated breaker, which might be about $50 too, but you need a mounting panel to put it in. The breaker can be both the safety device and your OFF switch. Don't try to use an $15 AC breaker, it will literally start a fire for you.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          For small 12V systems less than 1,000 watts, a common "battery bank selector switch" for boating ($50) will suffice. They are large, round red switches with a black handle.

Larger systems benefit from using a proper DC rated breaker, which might be about $50 too, but you need a mounting panel to put it in. The breaker can be both the safety device and your OFF switch. Don't try to use an $15 AC breaker, it will literally start a fire for you.
          Also beware of less expensive off-brand battery switches that you might find on e-bay or Harbor Fright. They are generally not safe and will melt and/or catch fire at the drop of a hat.

One reliable brand you will find on both solar and boating sites is Blue Sea. They also make battery mounted fuse holders, as I recall.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
          X