Further Price Cuts in Home Solar Panels Not Expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further Price Cuts in Home Solar Panels Not Expected

Supplies for polysilicon used for manufacturing solar panels have stabilized and prices are not expected to decline further. The material, used in crystalline silicon PV cells was in oversupply in 2013 and some suppliers of polysilicon were forced to shutter their doors. Production was at a maximum which lead to this surplus. With demand and supply relatively steady, prices have now stabilized. What this means for consumers who want to put home solar panels on their roofs is that prices are not likely to go down any further, although not everyone agrees.

More...

Prices bottomed out, subsidies going away, utilities charging higher prices for solar companies means BUST.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Prices bottomed out, subsidies going away, utilities charging higher prices for solar companies means BUST.
      Maybe for the home installer but I see a lot of big Utility sized > 5MW systems going up all over the country and a few much bigger ones outside the US like the ones in Chile where a 70MW was just completed and a 72MW is planned to start construction.

The little guy may be out of luck unless they have money to burn but those with deep pockets seem to be building these arrays like weeds growing.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        The little guy may be out of luck unless they have money to burn but those with deep pockets seem to be building these arrays like weeds growing.
        Especially if those deep pockets are not even their own (via government subsidy, etc.)
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

In the short term, the opposite might happen. People who was on the fence to see where the price is going will be forced to pull the trigger fearing more price increases. My channels tell me that currently there are way more people wanting to install solar then the installer can handle; hence some pretty long wait for the good installers.
          16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by thejq View Post
            In the short term, the opposite might happen. People who was on the fence to see where the price is going will be forced to pull the trigger fearing more price increases. My channels tell me that currently there are way more people wanting to install solar then the installer can handle; hence some pretty long wait for the good installers.
            I believe what you are writing. But, while not bad mouthing your sources, that does sound like it could be peddler talk/fear tactics trying to stampede business.

Comment

most things I read

Most things I read say about 5-8% drop in system prices for 2015, panel pricing has ticked up recently so we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                I believe what you are writing. But, while not bad mouthing your sources, that does sound like it could be peddler talk/fear tactics trying to stampede business.
                It's very hard to predict the future esp. short term (< 1 yr) pricing. Like you, I don't believe anything a sales guy tells me until I verify it. A friend just signed contract with the installer I used. The estimated start time is next Jan - Feb time frame. They're completely booked to the end of Jan 2015. So if an installer would risk losing business (with real $$ on the line) to delay installation, I would assume the info is accurate. Again, I'm sure there're always installers willing to start right away, but ......
                16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

This article seems to contradict with this one

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...r-2015-outlook

Comment

Working...
                  X