Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black water produced; what's the cause of that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shock treatment for wells is used to get a reference point for the bacteria levels in the well water. You destroy all bacteria then retest in a week or two to determine the level of bacteria in your well water. If the bacteria levels are acceptable no further treatment is involved. If elevated levels are found a treatment system is required, ie chlorination , UV, ozone, etc.. Ozone in my opinion is the best as it destroys all bacteria if sized properly.
    Shocking the well maybe required on a regular basis if the bacteria in the well clogs the pump inlet screen.The water in the well is not treated, the water is treated near the point of use.
    For low levels of iron and hydrogen sulfide a softener and chlorinator usually are sufficient to treat the water.
    For higher levels I have been using the air inductor systems for treatment as they use no toxic chemicals and no air pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by LucMan View Post
      The shock treatment for wells is used to get a reference point for the bacteria levels in the well water. You destroy all bacteria then retest in a week or two to determine the level of bacteria in your well water. If the bacteria levels are acceptable no further treatment is involved. If elevated levels are found a treatment system is required, ie chlorination , UV, ozone, etc.. Ozone in my opinion is the best as it destroys all bacteria if sized properly.
      Shocking the well maybe required on a regular basis if the bacteria in the well clogs the pump inlet screen.The water in the well is not treated, the water is treated near the point of use.
      For low levels of iron and hydrogen sulfide a softener and chlorinator usually are sufficient to treat the water.
      For higher levels I have been using the air inductor systems for treatment as they use no toxic chemicals and no air pumps.
      I more than agree with the above. Another consideration is the storage with untreated water. Depending on the temperature and the available light untreated water has a very short shelf life. Anyone with a RV or boat can tell you that it's always a problem and most start with chlorinated water. The temperature in a hot water heater just makes it a incubator for bacteria even if you change the rods every month.

My guess is you'll have to treat the whole system and drink bottled water for a few days and continually turn over the stored water, even then you'll have issues from time to time.

Comment

an update for those interested

Acting on the advice from replies, i did a chlorine shock to the storage tank. VOILA! No more blackish hot water, except for the first few gallons of each shower. I'm guessing that is from bacteria in the pipes between tank and shower.
        Thanks to all who replied. No doubt i will need to repeat the chlorine shock at some interval.

Comment

Working...
        X