Off-grid, off-battery, off the map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-grid, off-battery, off the map

This is my second post. I got good answers to my first post. Thanks all. The off-grid system that I would like to employ is solar-direct (with no batteries, via a linear current booster) and has only two load components 1- a centrifugal fan 48vdc/4 amps (has a 0 to 10vdc circuit for speed control) and 2-a low volume, low pressure water pump. I cannot find a source for suitable 48vdc water pumps. All 48vdc pumps (that I've found) are a far greater capacity than I need and too costly. I have found suitable (brushless) water pumps in the 12vdc and 24vdc varieties. Here's the follow-up question? Can I employ a 48 volt PV array to match the fan and also power lower voltage components via additional control devices (48 to 12 vdc transformers?) and accomplish all this with a single linear current booster? The locations for this odd configuration are in poor, third-world villages with no maintenance skills. So the system has to be "plug and play" with extended longevity and with very little oversight. Am I asking for the moon, as well as the sun? I'm willing to reconfigure any and all components to make this work. Thanks to all that replied to my first post and thanks in advance to any that reply to this one.

When running solar direct one usually has seperate arrays for each load. So get a 24V pump and put together a 24v array for it.

One of the advantages of running solar diect is to keep it simple. Adding DC-DC converters just complicates it and may require the addition of batteries to stablize the output for them to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf View Post
      When running solar direct one usually has seperate arrays for each load. So get a 24V pump and put together a 24v array for it.

One of the advantages of running solar diect is to keep it simple. Adding DC-DC converters just complicates it and may require the addition of batteries to stablize the output for them to work.

Thanks White Wolf for the good advice.

Comment

Working...
      X