X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ineedbr
    • Oct 2014

Problem with batterys dropping.

HI Guys

Very new to all this, Used a calculator to work out our needs for a off gird system

Our system is 24v and has 240 AMPs of batterys.
    1x 200watt solar panel 24v
    1x 400 watt wind turbine 24v
    1x 30A-MPPT-Solar-Panel-Regulator-Battery-Charge-Controller-24V

The equipment draw is 45watts at 24v

Our equipment can run as low as 12v or max of 30v, so we have set the off limit on the controller to 12v and the switch on voltage to 17v, We can see the panel is giving us good charge and the turbine is only to top up when dark and there is wind.

The problem is the battery's are dropping by about 0.5 v a day even with good sunlight and wind.

Can anyone point out what i have wrong.

Adrian
  • paulcheung
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2013

Most likely your panel did not produce enough power to charge the battery properly. remember there are lost in wiring and efficiency problem on solar power system.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ineedbr
      Our system is 24v and has 240 AMPs of batterys.
      1x 200watt solar panel 24v
      1x 400 watt wind turbine 24v
      1x 30A-MPPT-Solar-Panel-Regulator-Battery-Charge-Controller-24V

The equipment draw is 45watts at 24v
      Not without more info. How many hours per day does this 45 watt gizmo run?

If it is ran 24 hours per day, no wonder why you are having problems. 45 watts x 24 hours = 1080 watt hours. No way can a 200 watt panel generate that much energy in a day year round. Forget the wind turd, it is not capable of generating any amount of useful energy.

First thing I can tell you is if you have a 24 volt 240 AH battery, will take a minimum 480 watt solar panel, and at that power should be able to keep up with a 1 Kwh per day unless you live in an area that gets less than 2 Sun Hours in winter like Seattle. I suggest you sale that wind turd and tower to someone and get you another 250 to 300 watts of panels. Otherwise you are just spinning your wheels and letting your battery go to waste to the boat anchor retirement home.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Depending on location that wind turbine may well put out nothing and will be a maintenance headache.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• ineedbr
          • Oct 2014

when i check the voltage i get over 27v offload and 24v on load, the cable is only 4 mtrs long and is 4mm so no loss.

Thanks Adrian

Comment

Working...