Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I wire up multiple loads to the one charge controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I wire up multiple loads to the one charge controller?

Hi Guys, hope someone can point me in the right direction, i'm wanting to have an automatic (time controlled) pop door on my chicken coop and also run a small LED light for a few hours on the evening inside the coop, my question is can I connect both to the 1 load connection on the charge controller. Everything I look at on YouTube just shows either one load being connected or they put an inverter and run multiple things off the inverter (more household items), i'm just starting and only want to run the motor (for the pop door), an LED light and the timer..... any advice greatfully recieved, thanks

Originally posted by KatyD1708 View Post
    Hi Guys, hope someone can point me in the right direction, i'm wanting to have an automatic (time controlled) pop door on my chicken coop and also run a small LED light for a few hours on the evening inside the coop, my question is can I connect both to the 1 load connection on the charge controller. Everything I look at on YouTube just shows either one load being connected or they put an inverter and run multiple things off the inverter (more household items), i'm just starting and only want to run the motor (for the pop door), an LED light and the timer..... any advice greatfully recieved, thanks
    Most of those Charge Controllers allow you to connect a very small DC load. That is usually a small wattage light like an LED.

Depending on what that pop door motor is rated (DC volt, Amp, Wattage) I would think it may more than what the Charge Controller can handle especially if you add that light.

Comment

Panels to charge controller. Charge controller to battery. Loads (light and pop door) from Battery.

You'll need a battery. I assume you want that pop door to open in the early morning (at sun rise) and close after dark (or at sundown) after the chickens go home to roost.

Your pop door based on a car antenna motor? If so, a simple 12v batt is all you need. No inverter necessary.

P.S. You'll need a 12v timer circuit too.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert1234 View Post
        Panels to charge controller. Charge controller to battery. Loads (light and pop door) from Battery.

You'll need a battery. I assume you want that pop door to open in the early morning (at sun rise) and close after dark (or at sundown) after the chickens go home to roost.

Your pop door based on a car antenna motor? If so, a simple 12v batt is all you need. No inverter necessary.

Good point about the battery. Sometimes I just assume there is one in their system.

I believe you are correct that the pop door motor will have to be 12vdc and powered from the battery along with a 12vdc timer to open and close that door.

The CC usually has some type of timer installed which allows you to turn a "load" like a light on and off at different times or at least one time in a 24 hour period.

If the light and door are being activated at different times then the OP will need a timer with multiple on-off settings or use the one in the CC for lights and the external one for the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert1234 View Post

Thanks Robert, sorry should have stated more really, new to this forum stuff. Intention is to get a 20-50w solar panel, either a 30w PWM or MPPT (hope got these right), a 12v deep cycle battery. Off this wish to have motorised pop door (either using a 30RPM High Torque Gear Box Electric Motor 12V DC 37MM, or car antenna system). This will be set using a DC 12V Digital LCD Power Programmable Timer Time Switch Relay 16A Amps to open early morning and close late evening. Also hoping to use same timer or second timer if needed to power a small LED light for a couple of hours in the evening. thanks

Comment

Katy should be no problem. Take the motor and LED to the battery. You do not need a 30 amp charge PWM controller for a 50 watt panel unless you plan to grow the system up to 500 watts. With a 50 watt panel is less than 5 amps. No reason to spend the extra money on something you do not need or use. Don't over do it on the battery either. To keep it simple if you use a 20 watt panel, then all you need is a 20 AH battery. 50 watt panel, 50 AH battery. You get the idea.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
            X