Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iOS app for proper panel positioning

Hi, Guys,

I would like to get your feedback on FREE app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xydial/id642401420?mt=8.

This is not an ad, we want to ask pro's does this app make installation process simpler for new small panel user?

Thanks for any comments.

--
    yours,
    PV_dev

I'll try it. I just read the description and I still don't know what it does. You might want to make it a little more concise.

What does "let's solve water" mean?

Comment

"Xydial would like to access your basic [facebook] profile and list of friends".

It also tried to access my twitter account.

Why does it do this? Is it going to message my facebook and twitter friends and ask them for input on my local weather conditions and shading issues?

Comment

Hi, sdold,

Access to any account required if you want to share your panel with your friends, just don't allow if you don't want to. And yes, seems you right it's not clear enough description out there we'll try to work with it. If you don't mind to try again panel adjustment function and power output calculations, what is main app purpose (app needs your geotag for calculations).

Thanks. Your opinion is very appreciated.

Originally posted by sdold View Post
        "Xydial would like to access your basic [facebook] profile and list of friends".

Why does it do this? Is it going to message my facebook and twitter friends and ask them for input on my local weather conditions and shading issues?

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post

One of the problem with most apps - they try to dig in deep - I guess so they can mine your information later fo sale.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
            One of the problem with most apps - they try to dig in deep - I guess so they can mine your information later fo sale.

Thanks, Russ. I'm not sure about Android platform, but it is strictly prohibited by Apple. That's one of the reasons why app approval process takes 1-2 weeks. On other hand, again we've to think harder about such concerns like you guys have. The app doesn't post anything automatically or gather ANY information. Now user just can share standard message on the timeline like "I adjusted my panel via XyDial app", but I think such apps should have more social gaming component by sharing panel output and "green" effect, which probably inspire somebody to use green energy.

Comment

I didn't allow it to access facebook, but somehow it now has my facebook email address/login name filled in and I can't seem to remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by PV_dev View Post
                Thanks, Russ. I'm not sure about Android platform, but it is strictly prohibited by Apple.
                Apple is the one I would trust least in these cases!
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

1. The lat/lon listed in the tilting screen was off by a lot, it showed me at about 40 latitude and 70 longitude when I'm actually at about 38N and 122 west.
                  2. I went to that screen by accident and can't figure out how to get back. The navigation in this app is not very intuitive.
                  3. The music when the app opens is annoying, it's the only app I've seen that does that. The only people that like this stuff are beginner app developers and their bosses. Users don't like it.
                  4. When I scan the horizon and draw shade boxes, the data screen for the panel isn't updated with the amount of shading, and I don't know what to do after drawing the boxes. I keep scanning the horizon and nothing else happens, and there is no "Done" or "Finished" button or anything like that.
                  5. What is "Energy measurement"? Energy is measured in watt-hours, not watts. If you mean power instead, do you mean STC power?
                  6. I think the "Shading %" field is kind of screwy. What does it mean? If it's percentage of the sky that is shaded, it makes a big difference if the shading is at solar noon vs. morning or afternoon. Is it a value that is calculated by the boxes drawn in horizon panning screen?
                  7. It would be nice if the panel dimensions are able to be entered in inches.
                  8. On tilting: I would actually it better if the program gave me an azimuth and elevation to use, and the app just let me put the phone on the panel and adjust it accordingly looking at the az and el numbers. I don't think it needs to be as complicated and "gee whiz" as it is. But I'm used to aligning microwave dishes and passive repeaters, where all we use are rulers, rocks and strings.
                  9. Why the facebook and twitter interface? That would be a really weird post to see, in the midst of everybody's meaningless selfies and pictures of their lunches, you have somebody posting solar panel orientation info. I guess it's OK, I just don't get the need to share everything socially.

So far the app looks interesting but it reminds me of a student's senior project that isn't quite finished, and the developer needs to get more advice, which I guess is why you are here. It seems like it's half way to being a really cool app.

Comment

Working...
                  X