Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

From my experience in industry H2 sensors are a big nuisance - if you have something you can not rely on it is better not to have it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
      There is the CSA or Canadian Standards Association which follows the NEC (National Electric Code) pretty closely. Not sure if there are any additional requirements in those standards that you would have to follow.
      True but Canadian follow one code cycle behind NEC. However restricted areas have not changed in several cycles so it is a moot point. What I do not know is if Canadian amended the requirement as they can and do that. It took them two cycles to require AFCI. So I cannot really speak for Canadian requirements.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike Rugy
        • Oct 2014

Thanks for the inline Zephyr link and yes redundancy is always good, will do this.
        Like the fact that it has a damper so less or no cold air coming down the pipe.
        Electrically speaking all appliances that are plugged in or direct wired in Canada must have a CSA stamp on item.
        Otherwise not approved for use. Deal with this on plumbing fixtures all the time as many clients want " European" fixtures that have no CSA stamp or approval.
        Interesting about the H2 sensors not being reliable and potentially becoming a nuisance.
        Thanks for all of the input, appreciate it.

Comment

• Mike Rugy
          • Oct 2014

Long time away, getting ready to wrap up my quadlock roof system.
          Question with regards to battery room which is in my crawl space.
          How much slope should I allow for venting of batteries when they are being charged.
          The battery room measures L 20' x W 8' x H 4'.
          Would 2 inches to the high spot work ?
          The floor between the battery room and kitchen is an 8" suspended concrete slab.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

in such close quarters, how do you check and add battery water ? or even install/replace batteries and their cables ?
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Mike Rugy
              • Oct 2014

The "battery" crawl space is 4'- 2" but the crawl space leading to the battery area is 5' tall.
              Present solar set up in my container which we use for fridge, music and phone/laptop charging, check on a monthly basis.
              Have found that the water level in the batteries don't change drastically. But yes they need maintenance like anything. Not a big task.
              Build 6 wheel dollies for clients which allows easy moving of items in crawl space. Batteries will moved by dolly.
              Back to slope, 2 inches is enough ?

Comment

• foo1bar
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Mike Rugy
                Back to slope, 2 inches is enough ?
                "2 inches" isn't a slope.
                "2 inches over 5' horizontal is a slope.

I think hydrogen is going to be somewhat like water - but in reverse.
                So slope is important - but so is anything that impedes flow (ex. localized shallow spots - or anything that makes a "dam" and prevents the flow.

Is the floor already poured?
                Or how are you creating the slope for the room's ceiling?
                Are you really only starting to pour the cement slabs >2 years later?

Comment

Working...