X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZoNiE
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2014

Silicon Wafers

Does anyone here know who buys used test wafers? I have 7,500 200mm wafers, and am pinging the reclaim houses and such, but perhaps someone here is in the solar industry looking for some?
    House-Sun Earth Hot Water.
    RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Just what is a test wafer?
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ZoNiE
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2014

It is basically a bare silicon wafer used in Semiconductor manufacturing to test and qualify equipment after installation and/or maintenance. They are used to test deposit rates, etch rates, and in my case, polish rates of various dielectric thin films and metal films such as Oxide, Tungesten and Copper.

These have residual films on them that can be removed via reclaim and used for monosilicon solar cells.
      RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by ZoNiE
        It is basically a bare silicon wafer used in Semiconductor manufacturing to test and qualify equipment after installation and/or maintenance. They are used to test deposit rates, etch rates, and in my case, polish rates of various dielectric thin films and metal films such as Oxide, Tungesten and Copper.

These have residual films on them that can be removed via reclaim and used for monosilicon solar cells.
        So would a potential user have to be able to deposit an electrode surface on the back and electrode traces on the front to make them useful? And no doping or other really difficult processing is necessary?
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ZoNiE
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
          So would a potential user have to be able to deposit an electrode surface on the back and electrode traces on the front to make them useful? And no doping or other really difficult processing is necessary?
          Yes, presumably. I don't know the details of Solar Cell manufacture, but I do know that some use silicon wafers. I'm hoping to move the whole lot to a manufacturer. There apparently some still using wafers from my industry.
          RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Wafers for PV have to be doped. The time/temp is adjusted for each ingot, which will produce hundreds of wafers. Working out the adjustment for 3 wafers would be pretty prohibitive to do the last 2 wafers. And just doing 2 wafers instead of hundreds at a time, is not likely to go well.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ZoNiE
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2014

We dope the wafers in an ion implanter, in the semi biz. These are probably all undoped. Except the BPSG wafers, which are Boron doped, but in the silicate glass layer.
              RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

Working...