X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy from Central Arkansas

New guy here, gathering information on this new endeavor for me. Looking at building small battery system that can power lights, charge phones and provide some radio and/or TV for the family when power goes out and i'm at the station.

Hello dmckeehan503 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Depending on how long a power outage you are looking at, you may find that solar panels would not add anything to the combination of batteries and a line powered float charger.
    But working with solar PV can be fun in its own right.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I would consider a Float Charger and battery before a PV panel. If you do this use a 100 watt or less panel with a small 12 volt 50 AH AGM battery with a 100 watt inverter. Even a toy size system like that is pretty darn expensive with very little usable opwer. Will not be enough for a TV, but adequate to charge cell phones and a laptop. If all you wan to do is charge laptops and phones you do not even need the inverter.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks Guys! I understand that it may not be the most economical or practical solution. I'm one that likes to tinker with stuff and probably looking at it more of an experiment with some benefit and a way to gain knowledge in an area that i'm not familiar with than I am a 100% practical endeavor.

Comment

Working...
        X