Battery Recommendation - New System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by watsonson View Post
    I can't see why the panels via my Outback CC (MPPT) can't provide whatever equalize charge that is required occasionally.
    Because EQ charge can take up to 24 hours and you need a genny or commercial AC to pull it off.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

because the power company is notorious for zapping customer equipment and they would not compensate me if they damaged my inverter
      Then get yourself a 4-10KVA isolation transformer. With some shopping, you should be able to get one for less than $500. Or even a autotransformer in the same KVA range may be able to soak up the worst. Add several of the midnight SPD's and you should be bullet proof, except for a lightning strike.

Anything the power company does to blow your beefy inverter/charger, will blow a lot more gear and light bulbs. They can't just chose some time and send a 800V spike to your inverter only. It has to propagate from the substation, through at least one pole-top transformer, to get to you. Maybe they are complete idiots and often cross wire the 190KV feedlines to the local 60KV feed, but they will fry themselves too, when they do that.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

What determines when I do this equalize charge using grid power. Is it weekly, twice monthly, monthly, quarterly or whatever. From some of the stuff I read in this forum overcharging can be just as bad for batteries as deep cycling; so I need to understand when and for how long I will need to do this equalize charge

Comment

Originally posted by watsonson View Post
          What determines when I do this equalize charge using grid power. Is it weekly, twice monthly, monthly, quarterly or whatever. From some of the stuff I read in this forum overcharging can be just as bad for batteries as deep cycling; so I need to understand when and for how long I will need to do this equalize charge
          Only your hydrometer can tell you that. When the specific gravity gets out of tolerance range as indicated by the hydrometer readings. You are correct over charging does damage in the form of plate corrosion, and an EQ charge is an overcharge, a controlled overcharge and thus why you only EQ when required. On average about once a month.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Watson, set the absorb volt to 60 volts on the charge controller. goto Tropical battery and buy a hydrometer to test the batteries and make sure check the water lever every week or every three days.

Comment

Folks - thank you for all the guidance you have provided on this matter. I will definitely follow your recommendations and let you know how things go.

Comment

Just providing some feedback on my progress before this thread is closed. I now have my system up and running. Presently I use a manual switch to change on-grid/off-grid. I only stay off-grid for 12 to 14 hours each day. It is a bit cumbersome to monitor battery voltage so I try to avoid running too long after dark so as to keep within the 20% DoD range.
                I am working now to develop a remote battery management system using a Raspberry Pi solution but this wont be ready for another month. I think it will be much more useful and informative than a Trimetric unit and at a fraction of the Trimetric cost,

Comment

Mr. Watson,
                  Why don't you just get an automatic Transfer switch? it cost around 20 thousand Ja. Dollars, and set the inverter to switch off at 48 volt. It is ok to dip to near 50% SOC occasionally, actually to my opinion the 20% DOD is over rated, according to the discharge and cycle life curve supplied by Rolls battery co. the 50% to 70% DOD get you the best bang for the buck. I have use the automatic switch and set my inverter to switch off at 47 volts under load, but it only did dip to that far twice since I gone partly off grid.

Comment

Paul - I think your idea of an ATS is great. I actually gave brief thought to it earlier but I anticipated a cost in excess of J$100k. Can you let me know possible sources and specs for the ATS type you believe I can source (whether local or outside Ja.)

Comment

Alternative Energy Plus in Jamaica has it, Call them.

Portmore / Kingston / Mandeville / Ocho Rios (998-2907,622-7887,878-4500, 632-2590)
                      Office Phone: 9982907
                      Cell Phone: 8784500

Comment

Working...
                      X