Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if? Best way to keep an unused battery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grizzly Brian View Post
    I would put an insulator or 2x4 under it if keeping it on the floor, setting on the ground can slowly discharge a battery (don't ask me why, it just does)
    You were doing good until you said this. It is a myth busted long ago.

Here is the deal the idea is based on a battery getting covered in grime with acid over flowing making the grime conductive bonding the battery post to the concrete. and the concrete completes the circuit and current to flow. Will silly if the grime is that bad it does not need the concrete to complete the circuit. It would already exist on top of the battery between the battery post.

Myth busted. keep your batteries clean. Now I will say this that it is a great concern in electric vehicles and one reason why the traction batteries do not have a polarity bonded to the frame. Commercial EV's come with a GFD to detect any ground fault. If either polarity is bonded to the (aka grounded) would kill you instantly if you can in contact with the ungrounded polarity, or if the ungrounded polarity became gounded would cause an explosion and massive fire from which you would not likely escape if you were inside the EV.

Grounded systems are DANGEROUS. That is why high voltage systems are not usually grounded. They are prone to unnecessary outages, noisy, and dangerous.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by rhawkman View Post
      PN, I was looking at all the Optimate stuff. Every review I read was glowing on all their products and was actually looking at the 5.
      Just be careful about reviews - most are just "it works great!", or " fail - it didn't revive my 15 year old battery from an Oldsmobile in the barn".

Few are filled with any detail and unproven anecdotes. There are many ways to properly store a battery - some involve more work than others. Over the years I just gravitated to the Optimate as a good tool over many others I've tried. It will do anything I can do manually, only it is faster, automated, and talks to me - well, leds anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X