Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with backup heating element and SR802

Hi everyone
    So my old controller died. It was the controller that came w my solar water heater. I switched to a new controller and the backup heating element won't come on. It says in the manual to use an SR802 relay which I don't have so am not using. I am wondering with this new controller how to get the backup heating element to come on without this sr802 relay...thanks

SR802 Relay Info

Hi,

You can get a replacement relay here among other places: http://www.amazon.com/SR802-Power-He.../dp/B00AVS7HKC

You will need a pretty substantial (high current) relay like this to handle backup heating elements.

Brian
    Powered by GaiaMoto Temperature Controllers

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly Brian View Post
      Hi,

You can get a replacement relay here among other places: http://www.amazon.com/SR802-Power-He.../dp/B00AVS7HKC

You will need a pretty substantial (high current) relay like this to handle backup heating elements.

Brian
      The thing is my old controller turned on the element without the SR 802. There is a relay built on the outside of the water heater but for some reason this new controller is not able to activate it.

Comment

Maybe if you provided the old controller type and relay type we could figure out what it might be? Brian
        Powered by GaiaMoto Temperature Controllers

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly Brian View Post
          Maybe if you provided the old controller type and relay type we could figure out what it might be?

Brian
          First of all I really appreciate the help.
          The old controller was a Chinese no name brand. The one I'm using now has a model number but is essentially the same thing as the old one, are you familiar with the different Chinese models?
          Relay is same thing, just a box attached to the outside of the heater.
          I think the new controller wants the relay to be in between it and the element whereas the current relay is supposed to switch on and off by the controller but is just installed directly outside the water heater at the port where the element is installed. I probably won't be able to do it without the sr802 I guess but any help is much appreciated

Comment

I'm not really familiar with Chinese controllers. Without some documentation on what the controllers in and outs look like or the relay type and its connections on the water heater, its going to be hard to figure out what to do....sorry.