X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kumasdaddy
    • Oct 2014

New from the Bay Area

Bought a Rav4 EV and want to get solar. Pricing is all over the place and I know very little. Is the CSI database not current?
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by kumasdaddy
    Bought a Rav4 EV and want to get solar. Pricing is all over the place and I know very little. Is the CSI database not current?
    I'd start by spending some time reading this forum, and then buy a solar fundamentals book. Look before you leap.

The CSI program funds are essentially exhausted so the CSI database hasn't had too many additions since last May or so.

On pricing - short (incomplete) story in CA anyway - decent, non Sunpower systems using quality materials and vendors ~~ $3.50-$3.80/nameplate Watt, depending on location, system size and site particulars. Sunpower systems run about a buck a Watt more +/- some.

Identical electrical sized systems produce about equal initial annual output, Sunpower included. Sunpower may be worth a slight premium based on perhaps better warranty and perhaps less year/year decline in output. A buck a Watt premium is a lot to pay the opinion of a lot of people. FWIW, I'd SAWG 5% premium or less as a reasonable premium.

Comment

• foo1bar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Welcome.

Which "bay area"?
      Living in Santa Clara, I usually assume San Jose/Oakland/San Francisco and surrounding area. But I've found that sometimes on the internet "bay area" means something entirely different to the writer.

Comment

• kumasdaddy
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by foo1bar
        Welcome.

Which "bay area"?
        Living in Santa Clara, I usually assume San Jose/Oakland/San Francisco and surrounding area. But I've found that sometimes on the internet "bay area" means something entirely different to the writer.
        Thanks guys. My quotes were in the $4.40/kW range. How quickly they are willing to negotiate. I am in Walnut Creek. Just received my first PGE bill with the EV and usage jumped from 550 kWh to 1300 kWh.

Comment

Working...