Glycol replacement help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol replacement help

I have a Stiebel Eltron closed loop system that has been drained to replace glycol, and need to fill it. I have a utility pump 1/12th horsepower that is rated for 43 ft of lift, and think my system is in the low 30s elevated at the top, and with the valves set up the way I think they are supposed to be set, the pump can't force more than a bit less than a gallon of water in.

There is a manual online here that describes the pump station: http://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/pd...l_flowstar.pdf. The manual mentions a thermometer - check value that my system doesn't seem to have; I have a thermometer installed further up in the pipe which is under insulation and don't think that has a check valve. The manual also mentions closing the ball valve in the flow meter; I see a screw that looks open on my system where the tiny image in the manual shows that ball valve, and I haven't tried turning that to horizontal from vertical but don't see how that one should matter for getting water to flow in, unless somehow it is preventing air from escaping in the 'open' position. OK, I guess I should try that one (:, but any other ideas why this system isn't filling? I'm doing a test run filling with water so I don't just waste the new glycol. Last bit of info, I do see the pressure gauge on the flow station move to about half the pressure it had when filled.

Charlie

Next step.

OK, so garden hose on house pressure fills it fine. The pump just does not seem to match its rating of 40+ feet of lift.

The slot screw above the flow meter doesn't really matter here, it does control the flow meter function but doesn't seem to matter for getting air and water out.

Pfft, wonder where I can find a strong enough pump...

Originally posted by chash View Post
    I have a Stiebel Eltron closed loop system that has been drained to replace glycol, and need to fill it. I have a utility pump 1/12th horsepower that is rated for 43 ft of lift, and think my system is in the low 30s elevated at the top, and with the valves set up the way I think they are supposed to be set, the pump can't force more than a bit less than a gallon of water in.

There is a manual online here that describes the pump station: http://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/pd...l_flowstar.pdf. The manual mentions a thermometer - check value that my system doesn't seem to have; I have a thermometer installed further up in the pipe which is under insulation and don't think that has a check valve. The manual also mentions closing the ball valve in the flow meter; I see a screw that looks open on my system where the tiny image in the manual shows that ball valve, and I haven't tried turning that to horizontal from vertical but don't see how that one should matter for getting water to flow in, unless somehow it is preventing air from escaping in the 'open' position. OK, I guess I should try that one (:, but any other ideas why this system isn't filling? I'm doing a test run filling with water so I don't just waste the new glycol. Last bit of info, I do see the pressure gauge on the flow station move to about half the pressure it had when filled.

Charlie

Comment

http://www.blueangelpumps.com/index....43_32/ec50.cfm

Comment

Thanks

I saw what looks like that 1/2 hp pump under several labels. Good to know that should do it.

Charlie

Comment

Working...
        X