charging battery bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alpaca-Meadow View Post
    HI Russ may I ask where you got these figures from please as they don't seem quite right

regards Derek
    PV Watts http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php

Just type in a location and it will provide the data closest to you. It will probably never be right on a given day and very close long term.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

adjusting

have you seen this one
      http://www.solarpaneltilt.com/

Comment

Go to either PV Watts or Gaisma - the data comes from the NREL - other sites just knock it off and try to make it look like they did something. The following link is for Southampton

http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/southampton.html

0.73 1.27 2.30 3.49 4.47 4.79 4.77 4.14 2.87 1.67 0.90 0.55
        variable being month
        Last edited by russ; 10-19-2014, 03:18 PM. Reason: added
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
          Go to either PV Watts or Gaisma - the data comes from the NREL - other sites just knock it off and try to make it look like they did something. The following link is for Southampton

http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/southampton.html

variable being month
          For those who are not completely comfortable with dimension units, the chart shows kWh/m²/day. Since the "standard" insolation at the earths surface and sun at zenith is 1000Wh/m2/day, you can divide the table figure by that number and be left with "hours" as the units.
          That is how we get the "solar hours" measure which we talk about so freely. It is the incident energy per day in terms of how many hours of maximum solar power it corresponds to on that day of the year or in the average day of that month. It includes the effect of "typical" climate in the area under discussion as well as the geometry of the sun's path through the sky at that latitude.
          So in December you get about half an hour of equivalent full sun per day, not much more than one tenth of the energy of the best summer month.

Among other things, this tells you that if you put in enough panels to do your recharging even in the winter, you absolutely have to go to AGM batteries which can accept that much energy over a short time (one or two hours).
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

added panel's

Dear All,

I cant understand that after all the work and expense I can not get the system to work. All I am running is a 75 watt brooder heater, 24 / 7 I now have the 4 205 watt panels wired and producing 48 - 50 volts the 8 110amp batteries wired in a bank of 24 volts with a 40amp mppt controller(tacer 4210RN which will take a 1000watts at 24v and a 150 watt inverter!

why are the batteries not making it until the morning? the controller has a red light every morning and the batteries are showing 24.4 volts??

what is wrong anyone Please Help, we are lucky at the moment having a warm spell here in south of England with temps at night at 14, but that will change very soon and the chicks will need the help

any help much appreciated Derek
            Today I wired in the other to solar panels 1 205 watt and the other 250 Watt (I can't get hold of the 205 anymore) so that has added another 455 watts to the system.
            I have also just purchased a 24 volt 25amp charger which I intend to boost the batteries if they fall below the recommended when the sun hours fall .

So my system is now

5 205 watt solar panels and 1 250 watt solar panels wired 2 panels in series and 3 in parallel (I think that is how you describe it)
            with the 8 x 110 amp batteries in 24 volts and with the tracer 40amp mppt controller. can someone please tell me if the mppt controller is now to small? not so much now but in high summer when it is all working at peak performance
            thanks as always Derek

Comment

Today I wired in the other to solar panels 1 205 watt and the other 250 Watt (I can't get hold of the 205 anymore) so that has added another 455 watts to the system.
              I have also just purchased a 24 volt 25amp charger which I intend to boost the batteries if they fall below the recommended when the sun hours fall .

So my system is now

5 205 watt solar panels and 1 250 watt solar panels wired 2 panels in series and 3 in parallel (I think that is how you describe it)
              with the 8 x 110 amp batteries in 24 volts and with the tracer 40amp mppt controller. can someone please tell me if the mppt controller is now to small? not so much now but in high summer when it is all working at peak performance
              thanks as always Derek
              I see three potential issues with your system.

First, the specifications (Vmp & Imp) for that 250w panel need to be within 5% of the 205w panels you already have. If not then it won't work well no matter how you wire it (series/parallel).

Second issue is once you add more than 200watts to the existing 810watt system ( 4 x 205w panels) you will have exceeded the max wattage input for your Tracer 40Amp CC. From what I have read in the earlier posts you need to add more panel wattage but will need a bigger Mppt charge controller as well and then you have to make sure all that is compatible with your 24volt battery system.

Third issue is that battery system sounds like there will be 4 parallel wired sets of 2 x 12volt 110Ah batteries. With more than 2 sets wired in parallel you are going to have difficulties properly charging and discharging all of those batteries evenly.

Comment

Run the power cord for the battery charger to the brooder and plug the brooder into it for the winter.

Really

for such a small load, 24/7 in a life critical situation, you cannot count on the sun for this, unless you have a huge PV array.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

system componants

HI thanks for getting back to me,

the mppt controller I agree my suspicion was correct I will upgrade to a 60amp asap.

The batteries I disagree they all keep good balance I check this regularly.

and also not sure about the 5% rule with the solar panel? what damage if any could this do to the system please

regards Derek

Comment

brooder

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                    Run the power cord for the battery charger to the brooder and plug the brooder into it for the winter.

Really

for such a small load, 24/7 in a life critical situation, you cannot count on the sun for this, unless you have a huge PV array.
                    The chicks are in a heated shed and are nearly fully feathered now! I wont be hatching any more until the spring unless I get the routine correct with the charger and battery capacity
                    thanks anyway

Comment

Working...
                    X