Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevebarghni
    • Oct 2014

100% off grid rv?

is it possible? most solar panels online are only 100 watts with controllers up to 800 watts. I know there are much larger systems out there. Is it possible to run everything on 800 watts and if so or if not how many batteries would i need?

I am new to solar and energy systems. Converting watts, amp, and kw/hr and everything is still like a foreign language at this point.
  • jimindenver
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2014

To properly set up a RV, you need to provide a lot of info as far as needs, conditions and budget. Start with understanding how much power you will need to replace daily. How much battery do you need to support you for a number of days when the sun doesn't play well and how much solar to get on the roof to support those batteries and get them back up relative quickly when the sun does come back. Even the conditions you expect to be in have a impact as it may dictate what kind of panel you chose.

The other way is to put as much panel on the roof as you can, as much AH's in the battery bay as possible and hope for the best. I have dealt with RVs with over a 1000w up top and massive banks that would allow me to go camping with neither solar or generator needed at all. Some of them never need a generator, some run one daily as even at that level, their needs out pace their system. 230w kept us off the generator while running basic trailer functions. 490w allowed us to leave the generator home while using a big inverter to run the microwave and such.

So it can be a slow process to do right. You could go to a installer and make it easier but even then do some homework and get a handle on your needs and possible gear so that you understand what the installer is doing.

Comment

• stevebarghni
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by jimindenver
      To properly set up a RV, you need to provide a lot of info as far as needs, conditions and budget. Start with understanding how much power you will need to replace daily. How much battery do you need to support you for a number of days when the sun doesn't play well and how much solar to get on the roof to support those batteries and get them back up relative quickly when the sun does come back. Even the conditions you expect to be in have a impact as it may dictate what kind of panel you chose.

The other way is to put as much panel on the roof as you can, as much AH's in the battery bay as possible and hope for the best. I have dealt with RVs with over a 1000w up top and massive banks that would allow me to go camping with neither solar or generator needed at all. Some of them never need a generator, some run one daily as even at that level, their needs out pace their system. 230w kept us off the generator while running basic trailer functions. 490w allowed us to leave the generator home while using a big inverter to run the microwave and such.

So it can be a slow process to do right. You could go to a installer and make it easier but even then do some homework and get a handle on your needs and possible gear so that you understand what the installer is doing.
      that is a good start. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to this thread. I will probly have an installer set every thing up and watch and learn as they go. I live in sunny texas so i dont expect to go more then 2-3 days without sun. regardless i want to have a very large bank to support my rv for up to 5-6 days with careful use.

I would assume that regardless of how many watts i have on the roof (anywhere from 400-800 watts) i, it is the battery bank that really matters?

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by stevebarghni
        I would assume that regardless of how many watts i have on the roof (anywhere from 400-800 watts) i, it is the battery bank that really matters?
        The entire thing needs to be balanced - panels, CC, and batteries to match consumption.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

No that is not right, everythin ghas to be matched up. What you wil find out soon enough is your RV does not have enough space or weight capacity to do what you want, especially in winter months. If you want Air Conditioning you are SOL. Whatever you take off-grid is going to cost you roughly 10 times more than buying it from the electric company.

I thing to think about is a simple $50 battery Isolator will do muchg more than any solar system can as you vehicle alternator can generate more power in a hour than panels can in a few days. You will also need a generator.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• jimindenver
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2014

Russ is right, and full time off the grid is the most complicated way to go. Use more power, it gets more complicated. Use big loads even short term, more complicated. Do anything with out charging for a week, you got it, more complicated.

There are so many ways of using solar in a RV and so many combinations of possible equipment and conditions that it is impossible to conceive without basic info. Each decision starts there and then is tweaked in relation to other decisions.

Some simple questions assuming you are use to using the RV.

What is the rig?

What batteries do you have and how long do they last you. Better would be a resting voltage after 24 hours of use. This would be a worse case scenario, cold day, you inside watching TV, running furnace and LED lights, ect. ( I hope LEDs)

How much room for batteries? Inside or out?

How much room do you have on the roof? Is it in large sections or cut up? How much does the air conditioner, vent stacks and such shade the areas the panels would fit in.

What kind of converter do you have. Do you have a generator? Do you stay where generator time is limited? I would think summer in Texas would require AC, might as well take advantage of the run time.

What kind of budget are you looking at here? The more you depend on the system on a whole, the more I would plan on investing in it. People that go out for a weekend, a week, even two weeks in fair weather don't have to be near as critical as you should be.

Sound fun so far? power is just one issue dealt with putting a rig off the grid long term. Water, waste, heating, cooling.... man the list goes on and on. It can be quite the undertaking.

Comment

• jony101
              • Jun 2014

I think its possible if you downsize your equipment that you plan on running. Don't underestimate the power of good large solar panel like 240 watts. It won't run a full size fridge or AC. But it will run several 12 volt fans or a swamp cooler during the hottest part of the day when the sun is out. It will easily run a 12 volt fridge. Just make sure you get an MPPT controller for best performance. Example a 240 watt panel using a PWM controller you will only get 7 amps per hour, with MPPT you will get 12 amps per hour. In charging batteries that makes a big difference. I use a cheap ecoworthy 20 amp MPPT (cost 102.00) it does the job for one panel, but you will find MPPT is not cheap compared to PWM.

I have a 240 watt solar panel on the roof of my astrovan and its 100 percent off-grid. I dont have any isolator or generator or ever use shore power. My needs are simple, swampcooler to stay cool, lights so I can see when its dark, run my netbook charge my cellphone, sometimes I use it to cook with my 12 volt roadpro lunch bucket. If I had room for another panel, I would seriously consider getting a microwave.

I encourage you to get solar for your RV, you should have enough space on your roof. My advice get the large panels, it wont dissapoint you. I had a smaller 120 watt panel and it didnt impress me. With 240 watts, I was very impress, the first time I saw 12 amps going into my battery I knew I as going to like it. I can run alot of equipment with that. You dont need to spend thousands, I paid 200.00 for my 240 watt panel on craiglist, i always see good deals on panels. Same with batteries, you can find good deals also.

I dont see why everyone here says solar power is expensive. I been using it for 2 years and even if I have to replace batteries every year I still come up ahead. I only replace batteries so far to upgrade. Its good when you dont have to rely on gas to run your equipment. For a house it might be expensive but RV, it pays for itself in convenience.

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

I think, jony, that most of the comments about solar being expensive, particularly off-grid solar, are aimed at people who already have a POCO connection but want to go "off-grid" for political reasons. Or people who could get POCO power installed at cost of less than $10,000 dollars or so and are only looking at the short term.

For those who have only limited access or no access to shore power, the high price of solar is still lower than most of the alternatives, including generators. Especially those with only modest power needs.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• dkpro1
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2012

It's done like this

20141016_132217.jpg
                  is it possible? most solar panels online are only 100 watts with controllers up to 800 watts. I know there are much larger systems out there. Is it possible to run everything on 800 watts and if so or if not how many batteries would i need?

I am new to solar and energy systems. Converting watts, amp, and kw/hr and everything is still like a foreign language at this point.
                  Any question's

ps. also great or sales

Comment

• jimindenver
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
                    I think, jony, that most of the comments about solar being expensive, particularly off-grid solar, are aimed at people who already have a POCO connection but want to go "off-grid" for political reasons. Or people who could get POCO power installed at cost of less than $10,000 dollars or so and are only looking at the short term.

For those who have only limited access or no access to shore power, the high price of solar is still lower than most of the alternatives, including generators. Especially those with only modest power needs.
                    Cost of a decent inverter generator that can run the roof air. $2000

Gas in a mountain town is $4 a gallon.

Full hook up site for a evening $30 and up

Being able to drop the rig anywhere and have all the comforts of home with no site fees, no people, no generator noise, etc.....PRICELESS

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by dkpro1
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]4999[/ATTACH]

Any question's

ps. also great or sales
                      Just two.

How do you secure those panels when you go on the road?

What do you do when a major wind storm is expected?

Comment

• jimindenver
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2014

And here I thought I was a glutton with 720w.

It would be interesting to see the specs.

Comment

Working...