Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wfmdfm
    • Oct 2014

I am in the design phase of my project

I am just starting to put together my system design design. My plan is for a closed loop system. I have just obtained a 40 gallon Amtrol Boilermate for a forced hot water system. My hop is to build my system using this as my pre heat storage and solar heat transfer. The domestic water would then be fed to my existing hot water tank. So my first of many questions will this tank be a tank I can build with? One concern I have is will I be able to have temp sensors on the tank? Can they be at the bottom where the cold domestic input is and at the top where the hot exits? Please bear with me as I set this up please. Many more questions to follow regarding controls, pump, expansion, etc.
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Hi There and welcome to solar panel talk.
    Hope you find some useful info here, but it really is more about solar electricity here, cheers.

Comment

• organic farmer
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2013

Good luck.

I am considering making our solar-thermal arrays using a sliding glass door replacement door [triple-pane, argon filled, etc] They are mass produced and therefore cheap. Make what is basically an aquarium using one of these for it's top.
      4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• wfmdfm
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by solar pete
        Hi There and welcome to solar panel talk.
        Hope you find some useful info here, but it really is more about solar electricity here, cheers.

Well I have been reading for hours on the forum regarding solar hot water systems not electric systems. I thought this was the correct spot to post for this.

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by wfmdfm
          Well I have been reading for hours on the forum regarding solar hot water systems not electric systems. I thought this was the correct spot to post for this.
          You are in the right place - Pete is new.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

It is the correct spot. Just post comments/questions in the water heating section. Some/lots have experience in solar water heating. Fascinating subject.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

I am just starting to put together my system design design. My plan is for a closed loop system. I have just obtained a 40 gallon Amtrol Boilermate for a forced hot water system. My hop is to build my system using this as my pre heat storage and solar heat transfer. The domestic water would then be fed to my existing hot water tank. So my first of many questions will this tank be a tank I can build with? One concern I have is will I be able to have temp sensors on the tank? Can they be at the bottom where the cold domestic input is and at the top where the hot exits? Please bear with me as I set this up please. Many more questions to follow regarding controls, pump, expansion, etc.
              One info source with a lot of interesting ideas (but, IMO not all of them good) is builditsolar.com. Some methods of heating H2O with the sun are more suitable/doable than others depending on your location/situation/skills/needs.

On the temp. sensor location question, one of many things to keep in mind is the goal of having the sensor reflect the reality of what the temp. actually is. For example, a sensor strapped/taped to the top of a tank without insulation will probably read lower than the actual water temp. Better to get a sensor that can be strapped to an inlet or outlet line as required as close to the tank as possible and under the (substantial) pipe insulation. Additionally, try to have all sensors/temp. reading devices for the same purpose of the same type affixed in the same way. For example, have temp. sensors for a flow controller of the same type, affixed, wrapped and insulated in identical fashion to the greatest degree possible, as close to the location of the appropriate temp. as possible - probably at the tank outlet to the collector and the collector outlet to the tank.

One respectfully intended comment to avoid possible future rancor, and speaking only for myself regarding your statement about further questions: I'm not much of a teacher. I can give opinions and point to sources of more information, but I can't design a system for you. Others may be so inclined/able to do so. I am not.

Comment

• LucMan
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by organic farmer
                Good luck.

I am considering making our solar-thermal arrays using a sliding glass door replacement door [triple-pane, argon filled, etc] They are mass produced and therefore cheap. Make what is basically an aquarium using one of these for it's top.
                Before you spend your money on triple pane glass investigate the type of glass used on ST flat plate panels. The glass used is not so much used because of it's insulating properties but for the ability to absorb sunlight into the panel without reflecting any sunlight back out. The inside of the glass facing the collector has a dimpled finish minimizing reflection. The glass also allows high sunlight transmition into the panel.

Comment

• organic farmer
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by LucMan
                  Before you spend your money on triple pane glass investigate the type of glass used on ST flat plate panels. The glass used is not so much used because of it's insulating properties but for the ability to absorb sunlight into the panel without reflecting any sunlight back out. The inside of the glass facing the collector has a dimpled finish minimizing reflection. The glass also allows high sunlight transmition into the panel.
                  Slight increases in efficiency may not be enough to compensate for the increased cost.
                  4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

Working...