Solar Powered Wheel Repair Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Powered Wheel Repair Trailer

I work for a custom fabrication shop, and we outfit trailers and box trucks into "mobile" businesses. One of our latest builds was supposed to be just a standard build out for a long time customer. Well, the guy and my boss somehow got on the topic of solar power and long story short, after a little bit of research we found that it would cost roughly the same, if not a little less to use solar power for the unit in lieu of generator power. And we also noticed that if in the event we couldn't get it to work, we wouldn't lose much time or materials in switching back to the generator. To our absolute relief, it worked, and with flying colors. So, not only did we fab a system to help the environment, we saved a customer huge amounts of overhead from running a gas generator all day. Here is the super cool video on it ; any feedback would be awesome...

Originally posted by CustomUpfits View Post
    I work for a custom fabrication shop, and we outfit trailers and box trucks into "mobile" businesses. One of our latest builds was supposed to be just a standard build out for a long time customer. Well, the guy and my boss somehow got on the topic of solar power and long story short, after a little bit of research we found that it would cost roughly the same, if not a little less to use solar power for the unit in lieu of generator power. And we also noticed that if in the event we couldn't get it to work, we wouldn't lose much time or materials in switching back to the generator. To our absolute relief, it worked, and with flying colors. So, not only did we fab a system to help the environment, we saved a customer huge amounts of overhead from running a gas generator all day. Here is the super cool video on it ; any feedback would be awesome...
    Feedback it is:

We would love to hear more details about the PV system. I see some Midnite Solar equipment, but the inverter and battery details are out of sight.
    Did you size the panel system for winter insolation with zero tilt on the panels? Or will the system start to fail on you as time goes by?
    "Winter is coming!"
    ---George R. R. Martin

Are you using AGM batteries for quick charging capability?
    Is there an alternate charging system from the tow vehicle alternator or a shore power connection at night?
    Any problems so far finding a place to park in the sun and not overheat the inside of the trailer?

BTW: Very pretty work indeed!
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      Feedback it is:

We would love to hear more details about the PV system. I see some Midnite Solar equipment, but the inverter and battery details are out of sight.
      Did you size the panel system for winter insolation with zero tilt on the panels? Or will the system start to fail on you as time goes by?
      "Winter is coming!"
      ---George R. R. Martin

Are you using AGM batteries for quick charging capability?
      Is there an alternate charging system from the tow vehicle alternator or a shore power connection at night?
      Any problems so far finding a place to park in the sun and not overheat the inside of the trailer?

BTW: Very pretty work indeed!
      I am on the way out the door for the weekend, so I will definitely get the team together to answer some of these questions. I have some pictures I will upload on Monday showing the battery systems. I noticed that you live in Pville, I live in Diamond Springs. The trailer is currently parked at Avis Recon at the Sac Int'l Airport. And also, I love the Song of Ice and Fire !!!

Comment

Have a great weekend!

I had never thought before about the concept of mobile wheel repair, but it does sound like a very handy service for fleet operators who can save up the specialized repair work.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
        X