• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulcheung
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2013

Cost per KWH in off grid solar panels with battery system

Hi guys,

I have read alot about the cost for the off grid solar battery system, I know the cost is base on the capacity of the battery and the life expentancy of the battery, then we calculate the cost for per kwh.
    I have a question, do you guys take into consideration for the power that you use during the day time when you calculate the cost per kwh? for example, I use about 20 to 22 kwh per 24 hours, the battery supply about 10 kwh in the evening to the morning until the sun come out again.

During the day when the panels are producing I use around 12 kwh of the power. if I calculate these kwh into the cost per kwh, won't it bring down the total cost per kwh for off grid?

Thanks.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Absolutely. When you can use power for time-flexible loads during the day and have a generator for cloudy days you can potentially get by with a smaller, less expensive battery bank for the same daily load.
    You need to have a CC that can deliver the high current to your daytime loads without miscalculating the status of the battery charging process. Ideally that will be a CC that uses a shunt to directly measure the current flow into or out of the battery, without being confused by the load current.

The smaller battery bank will not be able to give you the same amount of autonomy through bad weather days, hence the increased importance of the generator.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by paulcheung
      I have a question, do you guys take into consideration for the power that you use during the day time when you calculate the cost per kwh?
      Yes we do
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...