Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ronquick
    • Jul 2014

Splitting panel dc

Are there any negative in splitting the dc voltage from panels and utilizing the split signal to feed a battery backup system along with the grid?
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by ronquick
    Are there any negative in splitting the dc voltage from panels and utilizing the split signal to feed a battery backup system along with the grid?
    Yes.
    You cannot, in general, connect two independent MPPT devices to the same power source (e.g. set of panels). The two MPP-seeking inputs will interfere with each other's tracking and scanning mechanisms.
    And you cannot combine an MPPT input to a GTI with a PWM CC under any circumstances since the voltages are not compatible.

You could use a CC only and a hybrid inverter with sell-back capability to get the same effect as what you describe.

Or you can use a switch to divert one whole string of panels between the GTI connection and the CC connection. The switch must be capable of handling (interrupting) DC at the panel voltage and current.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ronquick
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
      Yes.
      You cannot, in general, connect two independent MPPT devices to the same power source (e.g. set of panels). The two MPP-seeking inputs will interfere with each other's tracking and scanning mechanisms.
      And you cannot combine an MPPT input to a GTI with a PWM CC under any circumstances since the voltages are not compatible.

You could use a CC only and a hybrid inverter with sell-back capability to get the same effect as what you describe.

Or you can use a switch to divert one whole string of panels between the GTI connection and the CC connection. The switch must be capable of handling (interrupting) DC at the panel voltage and current.
      I am currently grid tied with micro inverters and would only utilize the backup if the grid goes down. I would disconnect from the grid utilizing the breakers and then plug power up the backup?

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by ronquick
        I am currently grid tied with micro inverters and would only utilize the backup if the grid goes down. I would disconnect from the grid utilizing the breakers and then plug power up the backup?
        I am not worried about how you handle the AC side (assuming that you follow the NEC). But you will have to include a grid-driven battery charger if you do not connect at least some of the solar full time to the CC.
        The last thing you want is to start into a backup event with the batteries at less than full charge.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ronquick
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
          I am not worried about how you handle the AC side (assuming that you follow the NEC). But you will have to include a grid-driven battery charger if you do not connect at least some of the solar full time to the CC.
          The last thing you want is to start into a backup event with the batteries at less than full charge.
          I would be using an existing battery bank from my golf cart that include a grid driven charger. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...