Off grid refrigerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris

I'm impressed. Very attractive wife you have there.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      I'm impressed. Very attractive wife you have there.
      Yeah, and she ain't no "dumb blonde" either. When she gets mad at me she switches to Swedish while reading me the Riot Act and after being married to this woman for almost 30 years you'd think I'd speak Swedish by now. But I don't. I only understand part of what she's telling me, and the part I understand ain't good.

But we've gone golfing at the Yacht Club here when she's wearing her sailing uniform and never had a single complaint or been told to change into something more "respectable". And many of the other girls at the Yacht Club do the same thing, and nobody has ever complained about them either. These dress codes they got at golf courses down south, I think, are going to put them out of business. Because the golf course here is so busy you have to make a reservation a week in advance to get a tee time.

This whole area here was settled by Scandinavian settlers in the 1800's, and I myself am only second generation Norwegian-American. They chose this part of the country because it's so much like the homeland. The blonde gene, according to research done at three Japanese universities, appeared about 11,000 years ago during the last ice age in Northern Europe. It was an evolutionary adaptation to living in an area with a sunlight deficiency, and the light pigmentation of skin and hair more readily triggers production of Vitamin D from sunlight. Scandinavians have long been sun-loving people - not just because the bleached blondes do it in California - out of necessity to get adequate amounts of Vitamin D synthesis. Us blonde Scandinavians are human solar panels - but instead of making electricity we have evolved to make higher levels of Vitamin D that the people living in the lower latitudes don't need.
      off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisOlson View Post
        Yeah, and she ain't no "dumb blonde" either. When she gets mad at me she switches to Swedish while reading me the Riot Act and after being married to this woman for almost 30 years you'd think I'd speak Swedish by now. But I don't. I only understand part of what she's telling me, and the part I understand ain't good.

But we've gone golfing at the Yacht Club here when she's wearing her sailing uniform and never had a single complaint or been told to change into something more "respectable". And many of the other girls at the Yacht Club do the same thing, and nobody has ever complained about them either. These dress codes they got at golf courses down south, I think, are going to put them out of business. Because the golf course here is so busy you have to make a reservation a week in advance to get a tee time.

This whole area here was settled by Scandinavian settlers in the 1800's, and I myself am only second generation Norwegian-American. They chose this part of the country because it's so much like the homeland. The blonde gene, according to research done at three Japanese universities, appeared about 11,000 years ago during the last ice age in Northern Europe. It was an evolutionary adaptation to living in an area with a sunlight deficiency, and the light pigmentation of skin and hair more readily triggers production of Vitamin D from sunlight. Scandinavians have long been sun-loving people - not just because the bleached blondes do it in California - out of necessity to get adequate amounts of Vitamin D synthesis. Us blonde Scandinavians are human solar panels - but instead of making electricity we have evolved to make higher levels of Vitamin D that the people living in the lower latitudes don't need.
        Does that mean your STC efficiency for Vit. D is higher ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
          Does that mean your STC efficiency for Vit. D is higher ?
          I'm not that up on it, just that my wife is a health and nutrition freak and big into getting the vitamins and nutrients you need from natural sources like meat and sunlight instead of these pills that a lot of people eat. So she's the one that told me how us blondes came to be, and then I read a bit more on it because it was kind of interesting.

A quick google search returns some interesting info on vitamin D itself, which is actually a steroid hormone and it says darker skinned people need up to 10x more exposure to the sun than fair-skinned people to get adequate amounts:
          http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-symptoms.aspx

Any time it comes to anything that makes life possible on this planet, it always boils to to the sun. It powers everything and it's amazing how your body reacts to it to produce a hormone that's essential to life.

Basically us people who were born and raised in the high latitudes have genetics that makes us not suitable for living in the lower latitudes for any length of time. Born in Sweden and live above the arctic circle most of your life, then move to Puerto Rico, and you'll probably develop health problems over time, because for one your skin is too light and burns too easily from sun exposure. And the reverse is probably true as well - somebody from Puerto Rico moves to northern Sweden or Canada they'll probably get sick because they don't have the genetic makeup to survive in that environment.
          off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

I'm new here

Hi Guys

I found this thread and I'm thinking you can help me out with a similar problem. I live in Anguilla where the sun is always shining. We get hit by hurricanes it seems every two to three years. This time Gonzalo left us without power for about 4 days. We only need power for the refrigerator, and that only needs to run for 8 hours daily or even less. We also have a 110V water pump and we would like to power that for taking showers. We don't need the 'fridge to run at the same time as the water pump.

We already have batteries. There are two NAPA premium Marine/RV Dual Purpose Deep Cycle batteries CA@ 32F 810 and CCA@0F 665. There is one Optima brand 50AH High Performance AGM battery. These are batteries for our boat and they are stored here at home during hurricane season.

The refrigerator we want to run is 110V 60HZ 6.5 Amps. The waterpump is 1/2 HP AC induction motor 120V/60HZ 11/5.5A.

We are not trying to save money, just want a few luxuries when we have no power. We don't want to invest in a fuel generator because it would need maintenance and be noisy and gasoline here is $7/gallon. By the way our electricity costs 63 cents/KWH and that about doubles with the fuel charges and other add-ons. If you can give me some guidance on what kind of system will work best for us I would appreciate it.

Thanks, AXA

Comment

Refrigerator power consumption- historical data

I have a newer model 26 cu ft side by side style fridge. The electrical specs on the nameplate are 120 V @ 8.5 amps. This can be misleading since it is an electrical rating for maximum possible current draw plus a factor of safety. The maximum current I had measure was around 5 Amps.

I have been monitoring the power usage over the last 3 months with a kill-o-watt meter. Here are the results:

Average daily power consumption (based on 2 weeks of data logging) is 3 kWh/day. Moderate usage for 2 people with little ice production. Ambient temperature 28 C.
              Normally operates between 125-135 watts with fan and compressor running. 75 % of the time it is in this mode.
              Once every couple days the defrost cycle kicks in and draws 500 watts for about 1 hour.
              If you are making ice, the ice discharge cycle draws 350 watts for 2 minutes to heat the ice tray so the ice cubes can fall out.
              About 15% of the time it runs at 5-8 watts, probably for the fan only.

Comment

Working...
              X