Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AZlink View Post
    Code:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HK2S3NC?cache=a78ab306a6cc381cfd072326d9db9b5e&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1412983937&sr=8-6#
    I think is this one but he said a 24volts not 12.......….........AZ
    Thanks AZ.

The method you used keeps it from being a live link, but it still is harvestable by search engine robots, so it not the very best choice.

The kit is not terribly well matched as it stands.
    A 1500W inverter is larger than comfortable for a 12V system voltage. The high currents (200+ amps during surge) make safe wiring difficult.
    And for a battery bank that can properly support a 1500W inverter (800AH at 12V and up), 200W of panel is ridiculously small.
    But the price is nice.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I replaced the dot com with xxx........OK thanks for info, well my uncle from Pennsylvania bought this and its a gift what am I going to do is once that kit is hear I'll let you know and will use it and install it with your advise and will use as you guys will say its proper for, maybe TV and satellite receiver or just the lights of he house, thanks AZ

Comment

I replaced the dot com with xxx........OK thanks for info, well my uncle from Pennsylvania bought this and its a gift what am I going to do is once that kit is hear I'll let you know and will use it and install it with your advise and will use as you guys will say its proper for, maybe TV and satellite receiver or just the lights of he house, thanks AZ
        Yes, best to wait and get your hands on it. But do not plane to buy the rest of your system (like batteries, which are not included) until you have done some planning.
        Basically the direction for your options from here are
        1. to keep 12V and go with a smaller inverter which will not waste as much power when not actually supplying loads, and add a battery bank that the 200W panel can support (one 12V battery at 100+ AH or two 6 volt golf cart (GC) batteries in series to give you ~200AH, or
        2. to go with a 24V system instead, essentially keeping only the panels. If you are lucky the Charge Controller (CC) might be usable for 24V. Two 12V batteries in series to make 24V at ~100AH and a 1000W or smaller pure sine inverter with 24V input.

The lack of manufacturer or model information on the CC is disappointing, but you can fill us in on that when it arrives.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Back in post #4 I sized a system for the OP based on a fridge rated 115v @ 6Amp or 690watts for 12 hours. That came to about 8.3kWh a day which was high but if you add the fridge and all of the other loads he wants to run it may not be.

The system I priced was about $15k included a 48v 1000Ah battery system, 2000 watts of panels, 60A MPPT charge controller and a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter, panel rack, wires, fuses, etc.

Now that may be bigger then he needs but while he may not use much electricity, 8.3kWh a day is not really that much. I don't believe he will find any "kit" out there that will work for him.

Comment

2000 watts panels can't charge 1000 amp 48 volts battery bank. it is way too small, after lost on wires, CC and load he will be lucky if can get 30 amps to the batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
              2000 watts panels can't charge 1000 amp 48 volts battery bank. it is way too small, after lost on wires, CC and load he will be lucky if can get 30 amps to the batteries.
              You are correct he will need more panel wattage or less battery but without really knowing what his daily kWh load is I am just guessing.

Remind me again what your system includes; panel wattage, batteries, CC, inverter, gen set, etc. and what was the approximate cost. I would like to know what an existing solar battery system costs and how much kWh is it can safely generate in a day.

Comment

All good info, also I can use fridge for an amount of hours and then unplug during the night, while we sleep the fridge will not be open then in the morning when sun is out plug it back in, I already made my mind to adapt and make all this ideas.....thanks to you all and your time.....AZ

According with my uncle he can change in the order the charger controller from PWM to MPPT, he mention a friend of him suggested that solar kit, he mention all info and details of all the parts are available at BS or something like that dot com, doing some Google right now to see what info I can find, thanks again to you all..........AZ

Mod note - Vendors name removed
                Last edited by russ; 10-11-2014, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Russ my Bad I thought that was the name of the brand not the seller, as a mod from another forum I apologize and will be more careful.................... Since I understood the concept of solar let's forget the tittle of 24/7 refrigerator and let'sgo with the fridge ON during the day with solar and batteries and OFF during the night, also by the kit I told you my uncle is sending me some of you already mention is not enough well until I fully learn what you guys know for years, with that knowledge that kit with what amount of batteries you recommend and could be enough for? Just an example the TV with satellite receiver and internet modem? Also remember I have a 4,000 watts generator that I can combine or alternate use between the kit a gen set..............
                  My in law called me last night, he said he did some changes to his house to remove some stress from the bbatteries, all the lights are now 12V LEDs.,.....,..................AZ

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                    You are correct he will need more panel wattage or less battery but without really knowing what his daily kWh load is I am just guessing.

Remind me again what your system includes; panel wattage, batteries, CC, inverter, gen set, etc. and what was the approximate cost. I would like to know what an existing solar battery system costs and how much kWh is it can safely generate in a day.
                    My system cost me $20,000 US dollars give and take few hundred dollars for the exchange rate changes during the whole system setup. I have 12 235 watts panels wired in 3 series string connected to a OUTBACK FM60 CC. 8 250 watts 8 245 watts panels wired in 4 series string connected to a Classic 150 CC. 1 bank Rolls S-460 8x6 volt connect to a Midnite 250 amps breaker/combiner. another bank Rolls S-530 8x6 volts batteries connected to another Midnite breaker combiner box. the inverter is Magnum MS4448PAE 4400 watts 48 volts.

My daily power usage is about 20 to 25 KWH,( mostly 22-23 KWH). According to the CC logs my harvest daily between 20 to 35 KWH depend on how many clouds passing by, rainy days is about 5 to 10 KWH, I use a 4400 watts generator and grid for rainy days. I put most my consumption in the sunny time, the battery supplied power is around 10 KWH each night.

Cheers.

Comment

My system cost me $20,000 US dollars give and take few hundred dollars for the exchange rate changes during the whole system setup. I have 12 235 watts panels wired in 3 series string connected to a OUTBACK FM60 CC. 8 250 watts 8 245 watts panels wired in 4 series string connected to a Classic 150 CC. 1 bank Rolls S-460 8x6 volt connect to a Midnite 250 amps breaker/combiner. another bank Rolls S-530 8x6 volts batteries connected to another Midnite breaker combiner box. the inverter is Magnum MS4448PAE 4400 watts 48 volts.

My daily power usage is about 20 to 25 KWH,( mostly 22-23 KWH). According to the CC logs my harvest daily between 20 to 35 KWH depend on how many clouds passing by, rainy days is about 5 to 10 KWH, I use a 4400 watts generator and grid for rainy days. I put most my consumption in the sunny time, the battery supplied power is around 10 KWH each night.

Cheers.
                      That is a nice setup, I am sure I can end up having a nice setup but not bought at once it will be a little at a time, my in law said his brother started a bit a time and said this was like a drug, the more he bought and installed the more he wanted, once he remember helping him installing a few solar panels and while he was installing he was already saying the next thing he will be buying...............AZ

Comment

AZ,
                        Just remember the components in solar system don't scale well. You may have to replace all of them except the panels. so try to determine what you want long term and buy accordingly.

If it is me, I would buy one of the Magnum MS4448PAE or something similar, it cost around $2000 US and a Classic 150 Charge controller which around $650 US. Then you can buy the panels and batteries according to what you can for the time being. At least the inverter and the charge controller will give you 4000 Watts continue power when you can buy more panels and larger bank batteries. The inverter also is a charger so you can charge the battery bank with the generator.

Comment

AZ,
                          Just remember the components in solar system don't scale well. You may have to replace all of them except the panels. so try to determine what you want long term and buy accordingly.

If it is me, I would buy one of the Magnum MS4448PAE or something similar, it cost around $2000 US and a Classic 150 Charge controller which around $650 US. Then you can buy the panels and batteries according to what you can for the time being. At least the inverter and the charge controller will give you 4000 Watts continue power if you need it.
                          Thanks for those details, Magnum MS4448PAE is the model right? Let me add that to the list as a must, by the way I read info on difference between PWM and the other type of charger but still a bit confused, in simple words what exactly is the difference and wish in your opinion is better?..........thanks in advance AZ

Comment

AZ,

If you are going to build a PV system more than 500 watts, A MPPT CC is a must. The Classic 150 is one of the best MPPT charge controller you can get now and it will scale, you can start with the Magnum MS4448PAE Inverter/Charger and the Classic 150 with 4 250watts panels and 4 6volt Golf cart battery 220 ah. you sure can power the fridge and few LED lights and the satellite receiver and the TV for a while, later you can go with 4 more panels or 8 more panels with larger bank batteries.

Those golf cart batteries may last you 2 to 3 years depend on how you care them. after that you can buy a bank of those Rolls or Trojan batteries according to your need. The inverter and charge controller both can use either 24 volt or 48 volts battery bank. that is the only scalable from small to medium system I can think off.

Comment

Russ my Bad I thought that was the name of the brand not the seller, as a mod from another forum I apologize and will be more careful....................
                              No problem at all. You are paying attention and learning - learning before spending is a lot more cost effective than the other way.

Have a great day!

Russ
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                                No problem at all. You are paying attention and learning - learning before spending is a lot more cost effective than the other way.

Have a great day!

Russ
                                Great day to you to my friend...............now that you mention scale it is good to know because I thought this was an individual setup for a moment I thought it was a kit for each appliances, I thought one inverter for the fridge one for the TV and so on and on, I mention the magnum to my uncle and he asked if its proper to have 1 inverter for the whole house and just thinking if something goes wrong with the inverter I loose all the energy, if it was wiser to have more then one inverter and if something goes wrong I only loose energy to that part of the house and everything else has energy? I see the logic of his question and I ask, if his question is valid? AZ

Comment

Working...
                                X