X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NakiKiwi
    • Sep 2014

Voltage sensitive ON/OFF control for multiple loads at different voltages

Hi all,

I have three loads that I want to switch on and off something along the following lines:

Load 1: Inductive. 1kW startup, 150W running. Switch on at 12.4 Volts, and off at 11.4 Volts
    Load 2: Inductive. 1kW startup, 150W running. Switch on at 12.6 Volts, and off at 11.6 Volts
    Load 3: Resistive (element). 1500W continuous. Switch on at 13.8 Volts, and off at 12.8 Volts

The options I have thought of so far include using three separate inverters that have adjustable on/off voltages, or using voltage-sensitive programmable relays of some sort.

Any thoughts from your expertise and experience would be most appreciated.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

A simple programmable controller with an analog voltage sensing input may be the most straightforward way to go.
    If that seems to be overkill, you could use six voltage sensitive relays, or three voltage sensitive relays with adjustable hysteresis. If you can find such beasts. You will probably need three power relays to actually switch the load if the voltage sensing relays do not have that power capability.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Not sure what the point is because with the exception of Load 3, the other two you want turned off long after the battery is already dead at 11.9 volts. Taking it down to 11.4 volts just makes sure you destroyed the batteries. Kind of like shooting you enemy in the head after a battle to make sure he is dead.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
        Kind of like shooting you enemy in the head after a battle to make sure he is dead.
        At least it confirms that you are still alive.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by NakiKiwi
          I have three loads that I want to switch on and off something along the following lines:

Load 1: Inductive. 1kW startup, 150W running. Switch on at 12.4 Volts, and off at 11.4 Volts
          Load 2: Inductive. 1kW startup, 150W running. Switch on at 12.6 Volts, and off at 11.6 Volts
          Load 3: Resistive (element). 1500W continuous. Switch on at 13.8 Volts, and off at 12.8 Volts

The options I have thought of so far include using three separate inverters that have adjustable on/off voltages, or using voltage-sensitive programmable relays of some sort.

Any thoughts from your expertise and experience would be most appreciated.
          If you are running a 12V battery, how do inverters fit in? 12VDC isn't too hard to switch on
          & off with MOSFET transistors. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by inetdog
            At least it confirms that you are still alive.
            Well I do shoot my LiPo batteries with a .22 through the heart, and then to make sure he is dead drown him in a bucket of water overnight before I toss it out for the Buzzards and Jackals to clean up.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...