Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charging batteries in series (different AH ratings)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging batteries in series (different AH ratings)

I just read the Adding batteries in parallel thread. I noticed the original poster had two batteries he wanted to wire in parallel, each of different AH rating. I have known that you should not wire different sized / aged batteries in parallel.

Stupid question ahead:

However, if the batteries are the same age, and if the batteries are the same voltage but different AH ratings, would they charge / perform evenly?

Example:
    Untitled-2.gif

My batteries are always the same size. However, I wire them in parallel, using only two batteries at most. I have never wired batteries in series. The other thread just caused me to consider the question.
    Paul

It's very hard to get 2 batteries in parallel to share current evenly. As soon as a weaker one develops, it forces the better one to assume the bulk of the load (as battery internal resistance increases) and it wears out quicker, till it is the weaker one, then the stronger one wears out quicker .... .... .....

With light loads and large batteries, this takes a long time to happen, but as more stress is incurred by the battery bank, the degradation happens quicker.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      It's very hard to get 2 batteries in parallel to share current evenly. As soon as a weaker one develops, it forces the better one to assume the bulk of the load (as battery internal resistance increases) and it wears out quicker, till it is the weaker one, then the stronger one wears out quicker .... .... .....

With light loads and large batteries, this takes a long time to happen, but as more stress is incurred by the battery bank, the degradation happens quicker.
      Would they charge okay in series? I'm confused by your reply. Sorry.
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by livingincebu View Post
        Would they charge okay in series? I'm confused by your reply. Sorry.
        Batteries in series absolutely need to be identical in design, capacity, and age. Otherwise it is possible to overdischarge or overcharge on of the two batteries, with very bad consequences.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Thanks, I thought so, but was not sure.
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by livingincebu View Post
            Thanks, I thought so, but was not sure.
            The safe answer for a battery system (parallel or series wired) is that they should all be the same.

Comment

Working...
            X